Home Forums The Gaming Room Kill Team: Rogue Trader

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  8th 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I have to say, I’m really disappointed with the Kill Team expansion Rogue Trader going for NZ$210. A complete rip-off considering the core set was the same price. Games Workshop – they fool you into thinking they’re doing the right thing, then they turn around and get greedy. I’m simply not paying that kind of price for half the content in a flimsy box. And they blew it with the Adeptus Titanicus price tag too; that’s two strikes recently.

CK Lai
    Participant

I think the reason why GW was able to offer the original Kill Team box at that price was they re-used the sculpts for the minis?

Whereas in Rogue Trader (according to my local GW shop) all the sculpts are new?

(Not that I’m defending GW’s pricing. Just pointing it out).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It’s still ridiculous – Kill Team had a heap of terrain in it, a thick book and a solid box.

8th
    Participant

Good news… purchase of Rogue Trader is not required… it’s a choice!

CK Lai
    Participant

Yes. I’ve held both the Kill Team starter box and the Rogue Trader box. The latter is ridiculously flimsy.

It looks like GW has discovered the trick of selling you the razor cheaply (comparatively) and making money on the blades 😛

8th
    Participant

That’s not a new trick… they’ve known for a while.

And yes… the Rogue Trader box contains less… but the value of a product is what you get out of it.

I bought Kill Team for the terrain mainly. Already had Skitarii from Forge Bane and wasn’t that bothered about Genestealers. Obviously I wanted the rules and other bits to play the game.

Rogue Trader I wanted for the Trader miniatures, Nurgle less so, but the new maps and close quarter rules are good. The Codex to use Rogue Traders in 40k is useful and the ‘heroes’ are some damned powerful figures.

Take a look at the price of most hero figures for 40K and that makes Rogue Trader look better value.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

TBH…I do not see a “ripp-off” here. In KT the highlight of the box was the terrain..a huge amount for the money…and really great looking. So basically you get lots of great terrain for a great price…and some nice stuff on top. In RT the terrain can not compete…but the “scatter terrain” it has looks ace. In RT the highlight are the minis. 33 new ones (against 20…10 old – 10 new…I think)…and the nurgle boss and 3 hulks are really huge monsters that would normally cost a hefty GW-sum on their own. So in RT you get a lot of great new minis for a really good price…and some nice stuff on top.

So…the “worth” of the boxes is not that far from each other…but depending on what you look for…one is better then the other.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I have to say though I’m always nonplussed when people justify GW’s prices by comparing them to … GW’s prices. 😉

8th
    Participant

I’m just pointing out that value is subjective.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Huh?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Oh hold on, you just made a comment, I replied, and you changed your comment. Again. Sigh.

Notice the wink on my last comment please.

And of course my comments, and all comments, are subjective. I’m not going to ask anyone to put ‘IMHO’ before every statement they make.

8th
    Participant

Sometimes I word things in a way that may offend. I edit minutes later. Sometimes I would delete, but that option is not available.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.