Home Forums The Gaming Room Kill Team

This topic contains 43 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Universal Head
    Keymaster

And I’m sure the guy was easy on the eye for any women watching.

I applaud GW for doing videos, but I think this style is already very dated and too ‘corporate’ for my taste.

8th
    Participant

Not sure many women watch that video to be honest… Kill Team is not a game I would expect to have a large female fan base.

And I’m basing that on my personal gaming experience over the last 30+ years, during which time I’ve only sat at a gaming table with two women and both of them played Cthulhu… and only did so because their boyfriend gamed.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

All the more reason for things to evolve. And a good start, I reckon, would be not referring to women in gaming as ‘easy on the eye’ and thus alienating them from a male-dominated hobby. That presenter, Becca Scott, is actually heavily involved in gaming.

And yes, I concede I did make a personal remark about the guy’s hair helmet. But I contend that’s false equivalence in this case! 😉

8th
    Participant

I did not say anything disparaging about her gaming credentials.

You said the video for Kill Team was boring. Her video was not boring. If she’d been rubbish, I would have said so.

There is a significant difference between ‘easy on the eye’ and some of the more graphic comments women get.

By I’m drifting away from gaming again… never a good thing…

I ordered Kill Team despite that video.

And bought Soul Wars before seeing her how to play videos. Which I will watch again before I play my first game as I find a video can often explain better than a rule book.

Your gameplay videos might be entertaining at times, but they do contain rules blunders, which you freely admit. No offence intended.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Indeed, I’ve pointed out our blunders many times and repeatedly remind viewers my videos are for entertainment, not instructional purposes. I’m not holding them up as an example of anything as they’re done on a budget of zero. Basically I’m saying, and this is all just my opinion:

– videos designed to inspire people to back Kickstarters should be inspiring and enjoyable and fun first, with dry rules descriptions second. Don’t pick people who can’t play up to the camera to make the experience fun.

– videos designed to teach people rules should not use stilted corporate filming and presenter techniques (to me, they make the video dull and hard to watch), but should be efficient but still engaging and with personality (see the Watch it Played videos, for example).

– and wouldn’t it be good thing to try to avoid commenting on the attractiveness of women in gaming, in an attempt to stop making them feel like it’s a boy’s club and thus encourage more diversity. 🙂

8th
    Participant

I could continue this thread of conversation, but it will change nothing…. so I won’t bother.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

You’re right, unfortunately some people don’t change with the times. Thankfully, most do, and the hobby embraces diversity and stays fresh and relevant.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I think Becca Scott is a great member of the gaming community, offering fun, well-produced video content with “How-to-Play” videos that are educational and easy to watch.

And I think she’s pretty…. (ducks for cover) 😉

8th
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about it. I think UH done his politically correct bit already with his comments to me.

It’s not a crime to think someone is pretty… it’s not like we were doing the ‘locker room’ discussion that can get more… visceral… and usually involves (as Mr Spock said in Star Trek the Voyage Home) ‘colour metaphors’.

Becca Scott didn’t exactly dress down for the video…. she wasn’t in jeans and a baggy t-shirt. She put some effort in and I think it only appropriate to comment… politely. If someone did a good job painting a miniature, you’d say something complimentary.

Next time your other half gets dressed up for a night out… say nothing complimentary… just ignore her appearance… see how well that works out for you… 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Please don’t patronise me with that ‘politically correct bit’ BS 8th. Your analogy is completely inappropriate. I’m not some silly extremist who doesn’t complement people on their appearance or considers it a crime to do so. Of course she’s an attractive woman. I just don’t see why it’s necessary to say so.

There’s been a lot of talk recently about the travails of woman getting into the male-dominated world of gaming and enduring boy’s club BS and harassment and focus on their looks and not their contributions. So I was merely pointing out that saying she was ‘easy on the eye’ was unnecessary. Little, easy steps to make the gaming world more welcoming for everybody. It’s not hard.

Imagine, for example, if you were a woman and posted a YouTube game-related video and a large proportion of the comments were on your appearance – negative and positive. Now I’m a man and haven’t had one person make much a comment on my videos that I can remember. With a little imagination, one can empathise with their frustration, even if the commenters thought they were just being ‘polite’ and ‘appropriate’. Personally, I would never make a personal comment about her appearance after a YouTube video made by a woman, because it’s unnecessary, not relevant, and from a stranger on the internet, pretty creepy.

I will admit you have me jumping to the bait after our last (deleted) exchange about racism however, and I apologise for that.

Let’s close this.

bensw
    bensw
    Participant

Hi all,

How the thread careened off course… the dangers of the internet. However, if I may throw my two cents in. (Sorry to all those whose national currency isn’t dollars.)

Obviously this lady is attractive and GW knows it. Now, just let me emphasise in the strongest terms that I am not saying she got the job because of her looks. Not at all. I haven’t actually watch the videos, but judging by the comments, she’s more than qualified and does a great job. However, I almost watched the videos, even though I have no interest in the game she’s demonstrating, and I have to admit it was because there was a pretty lady in the thumbnail. GW knows that its audience is predominately male, so a pretty face might at least get some more hits on their videos.

Peter, as a professional graphic designer, I know your familiar with the adage that “sex sells”. It’s hard for us old primates to ignore our natural instincts.

On the question as to whether one should state that publicly… probably not. Outside of the internet in the real world if you like, most of us wouldn’t approach a complete stranger and comment on their looks. So’ maybe we shouldn’t do it online regardless of our personal feelings. But that’s up to the individual, I’m not an advocate of telling people what they can and can’t say.

My two cents.

Thanks.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Hey guys.

You know what?

Kill Team releases tomorrow!!!! Huzzah!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.