Home Forums The Gaming Room Latest Acquisitions and Coming Soon

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by roy batty roy batty 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

So fellow members, allow me to tell you about some of the games that are in the pipeline to join the EOG library.

I just received Battle of Five Armies from Ares Games, which is very exciting. I’m a huge fan of War of the Ring as you might know, so this shorter, battle-focussed version is right up my alley. I’ve already almost finished painting the hero figures, and plan to film some game session videos late this month.

The BattleLore: 2nd Edition painting project is proceeding at a decent clip, and I’m filming as I go so I can give you a quick tutorial on painting the two armies in the game quickly.

Two games winging their way to me as we speak that I’m very excited about are Clash of Cultures and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. The former is from Christian Marcussen, the designer of Merchants & Marauders, which I played again the other night and was reminded of how great it is. CofC has got great reviews and should be a nice meaty Civ game. Robinson Crusoe is by Ignacy Trzewiczek, maker of Neuroshima Hex and Theseus: The Dark Orbit, and looks like a complex cooperative fun game of survival.

I backed three kickstarters last year, and with luck they’ll all arrive before Xmas: Flying Frog’s Shadows of Brimstone, Journey: Wrath of Demons by newcomer Marrow Productions, and the tabletop miniatures game Wrath of Kings from Cool Mini or Not. Lots of wrath then—and frightning amounts of figure painting.

Of course rules summaries will eventually follow for all of these games, when I somehow get the time in the gaps between earning a living!

So, what games have you just got, or plan to get?

Matt Tragic
    Participant

Just ordered Abyss, Heroes Of Normandie and The Legendary Alien deckbuilding game.

bigfatfred
    Participant

I’ve no idea how you get the time to play all the games you do! Colour me green.

I had a little splurge on Kickstarter last year, courtesy of a tax rebate. So I have just finished assembling my Battlesystems terrain and am eagerly awaiting Mars Attacks and AvP. Android:Netrunner is in the post. All is good in the world…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Never do I! I have a once-a-week gaming night, that’s it. What’s more curious is how I find time to make rules summaries, videos, write reviews, paint figures, maintain this site etc – and yet still have a relatively normal life. 😉

I’d like to play Android: Netrunner more, but you really have to find regular players for those living card games. I find I collect a lot of them and then they just sit on my shelf unplayed.

Abyss looks beautiful, though I just read a SU&SD review that was less than glowing. Will be interested to hear your take on it Matt.

zippy1979
    zippy1979
    Participant

Just placed an order for Five Tribes. I’m looking forward to trying it with the family. In the same order I have 7 Wonders: Cities coming, as well as Blue Moon Legends, Pixel Tactics I and III. It’s gonna be a good week!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

You lot have all got to come back later with mini-reviews! Blue Moon was an old fav, I have all the original packs – but they’re in storage so I was eyeing the new FFG all-in-one version. A deceptively simple yet clever card game.

roy batty
    roy batty
    Participant

Hi fellows,

I have got a sizeable chunk of Mars Attacks due from their Kickstarter soon. Looking forward to it, hoping its the game that snags my wife’s interest in gaming!

Actually, I am a little peeved with Mantic regarding this. There are a fair few people out there that have their Mars Attacks before me. I don’t mean other Backers, I mean people that went to the shows, or people that just plain old bought it off their website.

Am I being petty? I mean, I know that I am getting more for my money, but with previous gaming related kick-starters I have always had the stuff in my hand before joe public.

Anyway, there’s my coming soon update!

D

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I can understand your frustration – I’m currently waiting on Wrath of Kings from Cool Mini or Not, and so far there have been two significant delays. My Kickstarter dabble was the three games mentioned above a year ago, and I haven’t backed anything since. I appreciate the system is useful, but there are just too many amateurish, half-baked games on it, and I don’t think I believe in the concept of people getting my money upfront for something that there is no pressing incentive to deliver on time as promised. Poor production planning wouldn’t be tolerated in the ‘real world’, but it’s the same money they’re using.

Anyway, possibly a topic for another thread, but there are just too many variables for me to trust it. And too many good games from recognised, trusted publishers that have already done the hard yards required to learn how to deliver professional product, and I know are completely trustworthy.

I often think that a lot of these games have successful Kickstarter campaigns because of the shiny extra baubles they dangle in front of buyers’ eyes, and really that’s just getting extra ‘stuff’ that in most cases isn’t necessary to enjoy the game to its fullest.

I’m also frustrated by the lack of attention to detail and professionalism. For example, I’ve made numerous posts on the WoK forums about the crappy typography and layout of the cards and rules, which have been completely ignored. I would have thought that free advice from a graphics professional of 25 years experience would be appreciated, but that’s not the case. For my gaming money, I expect a certain standard of quality.

Whoops, I’m ranting. 🙂

roy batty
    roy batty
    Participant

Rant away!

Glad I’m not the only one with the Kickstarter Blues. I haven’t backed anything, or even looked, since the Mars Attacks one, I think I am done with crowd funding, to be honest.

Anyway, pics and review of Mars Attacks will follow. Assuming I ever get it…

Apologies for thread high jack!

D

braveheart2408
    Participant

Roy, I’m a fellow Mars attacks backer and although I received my base set 4 days ago, I was at MOAB, a gaming convention in Sydney, on the weekend and saw a lot of the extra components for sale at a retail vendor there. I want me the deluxe mat, esp after seeing how good the one for Deadzone is !! There was one there for sale, but I’m expecting it in the Second wave kickstarter mail out…..

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Indeed, nothing wrong with a good rant! I expect to get all three of mine without too many delays as they all seem to be relatively reputable publishers (though Cool Mini or Not have certainly had their issues). But I can’t really imagine throwing money at just some guy who’s decided to make a game and expecting it to be worth the risk. As someone who knows something about the work involved in getting a game produced, I think many Kickstarters are bursting with enthusiasm but very thin on real world experience.

Will be interested to hear about Mars Attacks when you all get a chance to play it.

roy batty
    roy batty
    Participant

Thanks BH. At least I know they are shipping them out!

Once I’ve got it, I’ll stick a review together with some pics and post it here in a new thread.

Oh, and thanks to Universal Head for all the content, especially the gaming aids. They are very much appreciated, especially the Man O War ones!

D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.