Home Forums The Storage Room Looking for: Firefly The Game and Eldritch Horror

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jack Romeo Jack Romeo 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ArbitraryNerd
    Participant

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone had seen any clever box mods for the mentioned games (Firefly The Game and/or Eldritch Horror).

Right now, I’ve got Eldritch in a Plano box (pretty effective, actually, sans the plethora of cards) and Firefly in some Really Useful Boxes (I think that’s what they’re called. Either way, they are pretty useful, but there are several components that don’t play well with them).

I’m thinking of running to the craft store tomorrow and grabbing some supplies for building foamcore inserts — I’ve never done it before, but saw the EOG tutorials and believe I could probably pull it off. I don’t mind winging it, either (that’s how I do everything else), but figured if someone had any suggestions, I’d be happy to hear them — I saw the finished product for the Descent insert and was immediately drooling over the multiple layers and convenient organization.

I’ll post pics of my current setups if I think about it tomorrow — problem is, I’ve got the most recent expansion of Firefly coming in next week, so it will ruin my setup, and I’ll EVENTUALLY get the Mountains of Madness expansion for Eldritch. And I like to keep all my components, expansions or otherwise, in the main box.

… I’ve never considered it, but does anyone just use their own, 100% original boxes for games? I suspect foamcore is specifically for inserts, not sure what else folks would use.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m planning to supply plans for both of these games – Eldritch Horror is done but I haven’t made the plans yet, and Firefly has yet to be designed.

Using foamcore is actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Like everything it takes a little practice, but you’ll be whipping up inserts in no time. Pretty much all the tips I have are in those videos.

Personally, I find that trying to keep all expansions in a core box is doomed to failure, for the simple reason that’s there’s always just one more expansions ..! These days I tend to keep the original expansion boxes. That said, for Firefly I have the Breakin’ Atmo expansion into the main box, and the Pirates & Bounty Hunters expansion will live in the Blue Sun box. And for Eldritch Horror, Forsaken Lore is already is in the main box, but I’ll keep the Mountains of Madness box separate (when I get it).

ArbitraryNerd
    Participant

I went out and grabbed supplies today. Where do you get your foamcore? Closest craft store had it for $9 a sheet. I know dollar stores sell sheets, but assume there is something substandard about them (I know there’s a couple continents difference here, I’ll do my best to translate to local markets!).

As for expansions, I think I’ve got space (and a rough plan) for Firefly with the current expansions — as soon as Blue Sun actually comes in the mail, I can better judge. But anything after that would, I assume, be problematic. I’ve got base, Atmo, and Pirates in a bit with minimal discomfort (and no neat foamcore, so I suspect streamlining will only help). Depending on how thick the Blue Sun board is, I think I can manage fairly well.

I love the idea of custom insert trays that can be pulled out an used during a game. That cuts setup time down (I have already done so by using the Useful boxes, but a single tray for tokens would be great).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I get 5mm foamcore from art supply stores. It isn’t particularly cheap however.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I’ve actually got Firefly, Breaking Atmo and Pirates and Bounty Hunters in the standard insert. First 100% perfectly. Just a little clever sorting of the card decks is all it takes. Lid even fits flush. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Blue Sun has lots of room in the box, but a strange insert that takes up too much space. Definitely a candidate for foamcore I reckon.

ArbitraryNerd
    Participant

Update!

I’ve spent a decent amount of time working on my first insert. It’s rough around the edges, looks a bit like crap, and is white foamboard instead of the nice black that I was able to find a bit later…

But I’ve found an acceptable level of happiness with my final product (version 1.2) for Firefly: The Game and all of its expansions (not including any promo materials, I haven’t picked them up).

I ran into two major problems:
    1. I in-general suck at cutting, even using a ruler as a guide. I’ve gotten a bit better as I kept at it, but yikes.
    2. I never factored in the 5mm width of the foamboard. In any of the measurements. So my token tray ended up being WAY too tight in its initial version, and the second draft looks a bit like Frankenstein (instead of starting fresh, I added an extra wing to the try).

I’ll take some pictures soon and post them up. And I’ll EVENTUALLY get black foamcore and make a version 2.0, once I’ve gotten a bit better at cutting and the like.

For Eldritch Horror, I really only need to create a card holder that fits in the box — I have a nice plano “tool” box that works surprisingly well for all of the tokens.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Don’t worry, you’re next one will be twice as good. We all make these beginner’s mistakes. 🙂

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

As for future foamcore inserts, Cuthulhu Wars is a good candidate. Good luck re-boxing it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.