Home Forums The Gaming Room Lord of the Rings battle game my friend "made?"

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by WonderSlug WonderSlug 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

So, my friend took a bunch of the old Lord of the Rings miniatures from the skirmish game(?) and used a rule set from some other historical war game, tweaked and combined with character and troop info from a Lord of the Rings book called Weapons and Warfare to make a large scale LOTR miniatures game.

I’ve only ever played skirmish games, Infinity and 40K, so my brain had a hard time grasping some of the concepts and complexity in this format, but I thought some of you guys might enjoy it, so I took some pics. I’m playing the forces of Mordor against Scott, who is controlling Gondor.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well that’s a bloody impressive bit of DIY! He wasn’t interested in just playing the Games Workshop Lord of the Rings battle game? I believe that can be played with large forces.

But looks fantastic!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I don’t know actually. In fact, I didn’t even know there was one by GW. I’m sure he’s aware of it, as he’s the guy I primarily play 40k with. He’s always telling me about all these older, “grander” systems, etc, so I’m sure there’s some reason or another why he doesn’t play the GW version.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game. He’s probably talking about wargaming rules for ancients though.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Ancients sounds familiar.

I think the reason he’s not using the current GW game is (if memory serves) all of his models are very old, from a prior released game(?) That, and he likes grander scale stuff, so I’m sure that’s why he’s going the way he is.

If you’re interested I could secure a copy of whatever source material he’s using, along with his tweaked unit summaries etc. to share with The Order.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Yep! Looking at the miniatures now, They’re definitely from The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game, but he based his guys in groups on trays. I know nothing of the game as designed, so maybe that’s just already an option? Some of his guys are metal though, while others are definitely the light GW plastic.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

For each unit of guys, there is a “marker” which he replaced with a physical model, that acts as the leader of the unit. That leader’s facing and position relative to the unit controls the unit’s movement and whether they’re attacking, defending, etc.

Whenever you want to change a unit’s order you’ve got to issue a new one from one of the field commanders(?) and then roll a dice, which is subject to modifiers, to see if the order is successfully executed.

The units have different attributes like “professional,” “disciplined,” etc. which apply different modifiers to them.

Any of this sounding familiar?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

No – I’ve never played ancients. 🙂

Thanks for the offer but I don’t think I could fit in the time to parse out a home-brewed ancients-based LOTR miniatures wargame!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I don’t blame you one bit. It was a little heavy for my taste.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.