Home Forums The Gaming Room Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I played a 4 player game of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition last night, fully prepared to be disappointed by the whole ‘integrated app’ experience. And I was very surprised and impressed. The game went smoothly, using the app was easy, and the game was great fun. It ended a little abruptly when I went insane and killed another player to ‘win’ the game, but a great time was had by all and it was certainly a lot easier than playing 1st edition.

My only criticisms are that a little bit is lost without having a human agent behind the ‘bad guy’ decisions; that there was a bit of old-fashioned charm about the fiddliness of 1st edition; that the games are still a bit too long; and that your throat can get hoarse from all the reading aloud that’s required!

But otherwise it was an excellent experience. The only shame is that all the 1st edition adventures I bought probably won’t ever get played now. 🙁

My next project is to rebase all the figures on clear Litko bases. The black bases are ridiculous and even more unnecessary now than they were in 1st edition.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Glad you liked it, I’ve been also much impressed by the experience with the app.

8th
    Participant

I am pondering rebasing to make storage easier. I think just two numbers on the base required for play and the monster figures are easy to identify.

Edit: There’s a third number on the flip side for destroying barricades (which I seldom use) and there may be some text that could be relevant.

So rather than paint the ‘two numbers’ on the token I may just make a reference sheet to look up the relevant stats on as required.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Played again last night, this time ywo player. Despite the scenario being one notch more difficult, we pretty much breezed through. Still fun, but a lot easier.

Yeah, I’ll probably make a reference sheet for the monsters, that’s easier than finding the token each time one appears.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

What do you think folks – should MoM 2nd Edition get its own separate page on the EOG, or should I keep the 2nd edition summary on the same page?

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’m one of the people who don’t own 1st edition at all, and I guess it would be a little more convenient for me to have a separate page (less distraction). But it’s no big deal either way.

8th
    Participant

You already set a precedent on the subject of 1st and 2nd editions with War of the Ring and with Deadzone.

Are you telling me that Mansions of Madness deserves separate pages for editions when War of the Ring does not?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

You’re correct, of course. One listing it is then!

Talos63
    Talos63
    Participant

Thanks for the new summary Peter. Like you, I’ve got a soft spot for MoM 1e. I bought everything, including the PoD adventures, and never played a 10th of it. I would very much like to see those scenarios ported to the 2e app, but the way FFG has been changing since the Asmodee merger, I don’t hold a lot of hope for that.

Interesting thing that you commented on; The miniatures, which I found quirky and charming in 1e, look extremely tacky and puerile in 2e. Lump that in with monster stands that just wont take the cardboard tokens, and I ended up dissatisfied with the component quality of 2e, especially for the hefty price. FFG CS assured me that the bases function ‘within expectations’. Obviously, nobody there has broken out a retail copy to actually confirm that…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That was the problem I guess – 1e had so much potential, but the difficulty factor tended to keep you from getting it to the table.

The bases are ridiculous; I bought clear bases from Litko and I’m going to use those instead, keeping the tokens off-board.

Talos63
    Talos63
    Participant

Agreed, too much housekeeping for one game, and if you put a single card in the wrong spot during setup, you could inadvertently blow the whole scenario before you’d even started.

It seems the majority of 2e owners are buying aftermarket bases. That really sticks in my craw. This was not a cheap game, I daresay it’s overpriced for what you actually get, but I acknowledge that’s a subjective statement.
    To have to turn around and re-engineer the game on your own coin because the supplied bases are (a) not a visually appealing component and (b) can’t do what they are intended to do because FFG have screwed the mold between 1e and 2e just makes my blood boil… more so because of FFGs indifference to the design/manufacturing fault

(I’ll get down off my /rant soapbox now, promise) 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I haven’t even tried to fit the tokens into the 2e bases. If there’s a problem with them fitting that really sucks. I agree, and again I think it has to do with compatibility with 1e, where hiding the bottom of the monster tokens in the bases was one of the features of the game, though they’ve always been unnecessarily large.

If MoM 2e had been a brand new game, I suspect it would have had better quality figures and a better bases design.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.