Home Forums The Gaming Room Mansions Of More Madness

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

I am VERY disappointed with the minis in second edition. So disappointed, in fact, that I went out and found both first edition big box expansions (Forbidden Alchemy and Call of the Wild) and bought them, instead of waiting for the new boxed products to release. I already owned first edition core. I got them both for MSRP, which is very lucky considering online prices now.

My fear after seeing the decrease in mini quality with second edition, especially with the investigator figures, was the new stuff will be the same quality as the other second edition investigators. The investigators from first edition are so much cleaner and more sharply detailed. It’s crazy really how much worse the new stuff is, especially when you see FFGs recent Descent and Imperial Assault minis, which are actually increasing leaps and bounds in quality.

The quality of the minis is a perplexing blemish on an otherwise very good update for the game. Another reason I wanted the first edition stuff was to maintain the option of playing as the Keeper, and experiencing all the cool story stuff, etc. that made first edition so cool. At least, my impression of it was cool from the limited exposure I had to it. After playing second edition twice, then going back and re-reading the rules for first edition, it’s actually pretty cool to see all that cool stuff: flavor text, immersion, exploration, etc. that was so appealing to me in first edition, were just a bunch of decks of cards. And the app for second edition is essentially doing the exact same thing, running the exact same systems, just more elegantly. My fear with second edition (before I saw the crap minis) was that the depth of story telling, all that mood setting flavor text from the different types of attacks, etc. would be lost with the app. On the contrary, the app makes it easier to be immersed, and provides all the same eerie, gut wrenching flavor of the original, just without all the hassle.

I’m very happy I was able to snatch up what’s left of the original game; It feels good having it in my collection knowing it’ll never be printed again. But revisiting the old stuff has me even more excited about the direction the updated game has taken and is set to go in the future.

Now, if only they can get their mini problem worked out…

Keymaster

I’m amazed the 2nd edition minis are worse, because the 1st edition ones are terrible. They all seem to be from the same big dodgy batch:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-premium-figures/

Vaguely acceptable perhaps for pre-painted minis and in the same ballpark as those for the old game Dreamblade, but not good enough for expensive new release games with unpainted minis.

Really on the fence with this one.

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

If you’re able to look past the minis, there really is a lot to like in the new package with the way the system has been refined.

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts about how you always wanted to get it to the table more, which is a feeling shared by me. This new game completely fixes that chunkiness, long setup, of the original, and still delivers on the stuff that made first edition enjoyable, which for me is the mood and exploring gameplay.

Through my forum searching, I actually learned a fair number of people actually bypass the minis altogether and just use the square monster tokens instead. It seemed like something they did with first edition as well. If you really want to start talking about overpaying for something…Sheesh….they’re leaving half the contents inside the box.

In summary, if you’re interested in it for the game, not the minis, it’s totally worth it in my opinion and I hope you give it a shot.

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

So Peter. You probably already thought about this, but it occurred to me that you’ve already got 1000% better minis for just about every creature in this game.

You own Sandy Peterson’s Cthulhu Wars. . .

Keymaster

Errr … that’s not many creatures really. Though the impact of slapping Cthulhu down on one of the MoM tiles would be huge!

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

Doesn’t it include Deep Ones, Shogoths, Star Spawn, Dark Young, Hunting Horrors, Cultists, Byakhee, Nightgaunt, Hound of Tindalos, and maybe more I’m forgetting. From what I saw online, they’re WAAAAAAAAY better sculpts too.

MoM doesn’t really ever require a ton of minis on the board at once, and I thought the quantities in Cthulhu Wars seemed comparable per monster type to MoM where that’s concerned. <shrug> But I just saw some figures last night, and thought it might work. Maybe it wouldn’t though.

On another topic. Painting….How did you paint your monsters for first edition? I’m stumped as to how/what to mount them for painting. I’ll be rebasing them on clear acrylic round bases. Usually there’d be crude base already for each monster, but with this game, and their big block base system, they lack that extra bit of heft i’d normally mount them to a cork with.

Keymaster

Maybe you’re right!

I think I glued them to sheets of foamcore. In fact I have a video about painting the Call of the Wild minis.

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

You know what? I watched those videos so long ago I forgot you covered EXACTLY the issue I inquired about. You even explained it so.

Thanks.

Keymaster

So much content on the EOG it’s hard to keep track of! 🙂

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

Hey! Whatdoyaknow!? It works 🙂 Thanks for this pro level tip. These “worst zombie miniatures ever made” painted up very quickly using this trick.

Crap Zombies

Keymaster

Bloody brilliant!

WonderSlugWonderSlug
    Participant

And finally, re-based on Litko 25mm acrylic round.

Unlike first edition, the monster stats on the little square base inserts are all 100% identical, rendering the big hunky base obsolete. The app controls monster variables.

These clear bases will make designing a proper insert easier, and look so much better on the board.

New bases

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.