Home Forums The Gaming Room MERCS Recon

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CK Lai
    Participant

So I’ve torn myself away from Zombicide: BP to play MERCS Recon. If anyone’s interested,

– the review is here

– my first BatRep is here

– and my second, more analytical BatRep (with tons of photos) is here

Let me know what you all think! 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Great write-ups, you put a lot of work into those. That miniature looks as bad as the Deadzone ones though – looks like the same ‘restic’ plastic.

PS You should use the same avatar here, it’s great. Now listen to me very carefully…

razide
    Participant

CK – Very detailed and informative reviews.
    Good to see the map tiles were ok when unpacked and unpunched(?)
    The lack of detail on that gun is spectacular. Did any one do a quality check ? Looks like it could have been left in the sun or heat somewhere or dropped in a solvent of some sort.

You look like you are having a good time with the game.
    I think they could have at least used standees rather than discs for the civvies if hey didn’t provide figures.

Amazing how touchy some of the US BGGers can become when they are not the first to receive a game release.
    Always surprises me that the Asian countries aren’t the first to take delivery of made in China games; sometimes it is good not to be the initial shipments in case something has gone wrong or been mis-packed.

CK Lai
    Participant

@UH: Thanks! Had fun doing them. One final BatRep is on the way… I’m still playing the game but you WILL see a BetRep for a Breach & Clear. As for my avatar, I only have one thing to say: Frau Blücher!

The plastic. You’re wrong there, UH. Hard as it may be to believe (and I do own a ton of Deadzone minis by now) the Deadzone restic is actually BETTER than whatever plastic they used for MERCS Recon. The Deadzone restic was a pain to clean up, but it was matte and hard and relatively easy (though time consuming) to dispose of. The MERCS plastic is shiny and very rubbery. Try to trim it with a knife and it goes all floppy and bendy on you. Never seen anything like it before. And this is coming from someone who’s survived the Sedition Wars and Deadzone minis assembly. The only saving grace is: there aren’t that many minis to clean up, unlike Sedition Wars.

@razide: Thanks! Like I told UH, I had lots of fun doing them… especially when the US/EU/Oz backers haven’t yet received their games yet. Haha. Yes, a very deep feeling of entitlement do I sense. 😉

In my case, I’m thankful the tiles and frames came out 99.9% OK. Some minute scratches and dings that might have occurred naturally anyway. But I’ve spoken to few backers from Malaysia that did receive damaged tiles and frames… although they both said that after careful checking, the damage seems to have been done prior to packing.

Yeah, I would’ve preferred standees myself. But it looked like the production for this game was done on the cheap. Witness the plastic minis. The tiles are good and firm… but not up to Myth quality. Even the boxes. Good. But not like Myth. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Wow, worse than Deadzone plastic – now that’s saying something.

CK Lai
    Participant

@UH. Yeah, hard to believe, isn’t it? 😛

But once painted, it doesn’t matter what plastic the minis are made of. They look good.

Also: my final Battle Report is here since I didn’t get to do a Breach & Clear in my previous game. There’s 2 B&C’s for the price of one here!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.