Home Forums The Workshop Modular Board for Middle-earth SBG

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Inspired by the new Pelennor box from GW and remembering UH’s excellent modular game board tutorial, I’ve started up my own project to realize my own game board. It’s gonna be a six-piece (2×2 ft each) Moria-themed board. They are gonna be a bit simpler and sparser than Peter’s Helldorado pieces, as I also want to built some bigger movable pieces to place on the board.

It’s my first time working with styrodur material and building something that large, but the first (plain) piece was already large fun and I’m well into the second one. You can check out some pictures in my photo gallery here.
    Balrog on first piece
    As a way to make the board lock together more securely, I’ve added magnets to the side, which make (if it all works out) the elements snap together easily. A first test has worked well. Check out this short video to see it in action.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

And here’s board #2. I’m on a roll. 😀
    Board #2

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That’s fantastic! Brilliant work. Makes me want to redo mine; I like them but they’re a bit rough as I was learning on the job. You haven’t mounted the foam on anything, it’s just straight foam with a bit of tape on the sides?

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

No, I thought the 3cm foam was sturdy enough. Of course you can’t go quite as deep when carving into it, but that’s been fine so far. I can always mount them on MDF later if I feel the need.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Tile number 3 is done, the big abyss with the iconic (and movable!) Bridge of Khazad-dûm.
    Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Bloody brilliant! Looks great!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hey, you could put a strip of removable water texture (shaped to fit) in there and make it a river …

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Thanks! And yes, I was thinking the same thing… Also a lava flow. 🙂 Any ideas for a good material to do that?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thin plasticard? Least chance of warping I imagine. It’s actually an idea I never thought of before; if you did a series of boards wth the cutaway, but then had pieces to turn them into lava or rivers or radioactive sludge flows. Not quite as much realism as modelling them for purpose, but certainly more practical.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Ideal would be some kind of latex gel that you could pour in, and then peel off as a form fitting strip, but I might just be daydreaming. 🙂 The problem with a stiff piece is that the area is fairly uneven, it won’t sit very well in there.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I wonder if you could use the pink stuff I used to make a mould in my casting video?

Kvamzi
    Kvamzi
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.