Home Forums The Workshop Modular Board for Middle-earth SBG

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, I have a set of rivers made with a similar technique. Iโ€™m not a huge fan of how they sit on top of the board though, with the raised banks.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

The pink stuff looks like an intriguing option. I’ll keep an eye out for something like that here.

As a rougher solution I was of thinking of using cloth or felt, cut it to shape, spray it black and put it into the channel to dry and stiffen there, then take it out and paint it.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

With tile #4 my modular Moria board is complete for now. I’ll perhaps be adding another 2 at a later time, but next up is some more scatter terrain (rocks and columns).

Full Moria board
    Tile #4

I’m very happy with how they turned out and it was surprisingly easy to do. Thanks for your video tutorials, Peter!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That is really stunning Ralf – the student has far surpassed the master! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love the rock wall piece! Iโ€™d love to see another piece like that on the chasm tile with a โ€˜cliff walls gap in it, that would really bring the chasm alive …

Oh, and two or three really tall columns or half columns, to give a little sense that itโ€™s in a cavern!

But just amazing work. It really feels like Moria. Nice! Really happy I could inspire you make such a great gaming board.

8th
    Participant

Wibble

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Good idea with a rock wall to bookend the chasm – that goes on my list of things to build. Which also contains a set of columns already, yeah. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m thinking of getting myself a hot wire styrofoam cutter. That would be very useful for creating regular shapes and clear lines.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

You can get cheaper hand-held ones. They work pretty well.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Felt experiments. A strip of plain blue felt already turns the chasm into a decent river. This could probably be painted up to look more like water (or even like flowing lava).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That works surprsingly well! It looks so much better when the river is cut into the board rather than placed on top with raised banks.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’m still experimenting here… this is the felt coated with a layer of acrylic caulking (inspiration from here). This should keep it flexible enough to make it easily removable, but also allow me to paint it properly. Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Caulked River

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

If it is not that much surface you could use water effects from Vallejo. TWS made a video for waterfalls same weeks ago…and I think that could also work on a small river section. With a layer of paint below and above the water effect.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I fear the surface is too large for the water effects, they will most likely crack. But I’ll check out the TWS video, this is one I haven’t watched yet (I love their stuff).

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.