Home Forums The Storage Room My first foamcore project – Cosmic Encounter

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Funksmaname Funksmaname 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Funksmaname
    Funksmaname
    Participant

Hey guys, I’m Danny from Nelson.

Here is my first foam core attempt… I was really inspired by the 3 part video on foamcore basics, and my CE-cards-everywhere box mess was getting me down, so I went ahead and made my first insert.

It’s much harder to stop glue going everywhere than it looks on the videos, but with some practice it will get better no doubt.

I only found pieces of foam board at the local Warehouse ($7 a sheet, this all took most of a single sheet) but there were a few pieces that were more like polystyrene balls, that if you try to cut through gouge out a space on your edges – is this normal/due to my cutting technique? I used a standard stanley knife.

Any tips on where to source good/cheap foamcore also appreciated. Let me know your thoughts on the design, I tried to make it spacious enough for more expansions in future (This incorporates Cosmic Incursion)

Cheers!

CE Foamcore - top level

CE Foamcore - inner level

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Nice work! I’d suggest a sharper knife if the foamcore isn’t cutting cleanly. Use a brand new blade on your craft knife.

It gets easier with practice! I get black foamcore from my local art supply shop.

Funksmaname
    Funksmaname
    Participant

Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement! πŸ™‚

alarane
    Participant

Hi

Nice work.

For the foam board, I found at a craft shop, wait for sales, and bought a pack of 10 20x30po for 2,70$ca each. A friend told me that he found some foam board at a dollars shop for 1$ca each. I don’t know if you noticed, but white foam core seems more expensive, maybe because it is often used for presentation, exposition etc …

For the knife, I used a 9mm cutter with breakable blades, like OLFA.

Funksmaname
    Funksmaname
    Participant

Thanks Alarane πŸ™‚
    Yeah, I think things are a little different here in NZ. Will keep an eye out for sales though.
    There was no difference in price of a black or white board at Warehouse at least (there was 1 piece of black I didn’t get coz it was a little banged up but in hind sight it probably wouldn’t have made a difference.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.