Home Forums The Gaming Room Mythic Battles: Pantheon 1.5

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  8th 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Mythic Battles: Pantheon 1.5 Kickstarter

So, Monolith is going back to drink from the Kickstarter well again with an “upgraded version” of their Kickstarter success from 2 years ago. Does this just feel cheesy to anyone else but me?

Don’t get me wrong. I think the models look great, and the game seems to have earned support as a system, but it just feels a little like a cash grab to ramp up toward their next project set in Norse mythology.

Peter, I know you’ve got this one. How is it? I’m really on the fence. I know I prefer the Norse one over this one, and am GOING TO buy the Norse one, but for $119 backers can get the core game + all previous stretch goals from the last Kickstarter straight out of the gate. Is the game good enough to have Olympus and Norse??? It just seems like too good of a deal to pass up, even if it is a little cheesy to do this so close to backers from the previous game getting their copies.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I think the game is fun, it’s a good skirmish system with a bit of card management, but I don’t think you need all the piles of extra stuff unless you’re a completist. I doubt I would get a whole new ‘skin’ for it (ie Norse figures, same system); I think they’re really appealing to people who just want all the plastic.

8th
    Participant

If you want another thought…

I prefer Greek to Norse myths and extremely unlikely to back Ragnarok.

Fun game to play, but without Pandora the replay would be limited by lack of units…

Only add-on I bought was Compendium for variety of battles. Painting guide was helpful at times too.

However, Ragnarok will likely have just as many stretch goals, so you’ll have plenty of variety without the Greeks.

Don’t forget to add your postage to that $119 and you’re already paying $20 more than we did.

8th
    Participant

1.5 upgrade pack is $10. Shipping to UK $20 ($25 to NZ).

That’s just stupid. We’re being charged that for being there beta testers.

Think I’ll stick to 1.0 thanks.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

One reason I’m backing off Kickstarters somewhat. But mostly because they’re usually very miniature-heavy games and US$80 or more is becoming ‘normal’ shipping.

Sometimes I wonder how goods are going to keep flowing around the world with these steadily increasing shipping prices.

8th
    Participant

I believe you can log in to pledge manager with old ID and request stat clip backs for free with free shipping.

Might have a change of plan. I resisted the add-ons last time as it was untested game, but having played it now I may buy something.

$20 postage for just the 1.5 Upgrade is stupid, but if I add Hera (I like the Labours of Hercules campaign idea and some very cool miniatures/dashboards) and Heroes of Trojan War (for the same reason) it becomes more palatable and probably still only same price for shipping.

8th
    Participant

Over a week ago the pledge manager launched. No option for those just wanting the stat clips (free item and delivery), but they promised it in a week. Still no sign of an update.

Lots of people annoyed that it costs $20+ for shipping of the $10 upgrade kit (by time the tax and customs fees have been added, the price is ludicrous in some cases, $100 or more).

I know it’s supposed to be heavy item and monolith don’t want to lose money, but as they basically used the original backers as beta testers for the game, I think they should just send the upgrades free to all backers. They’ve made millions on the game and will continue to do so with Batman, Ragnarok, Conan and more.

I’ve lost a lot of faith in the company and very reluctant to trust them in future.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yeah, I just gritted my teeth and paid up, but I’m a bit fed up with these huge miniature-heavy Kickstarters. Mythic Battles: Pantheon is a good enough skirmish battle game, but I don’t need all these scores of figures for it and I don’t need to spend hundreds and hundreds for game that is, let’s face it, pretty basic when it comes down to it. As for Joan of Arc, that postage was horrifying; I really hope that game is even a fraction worth the amount I ended up paying!

In future I’m going to think very carefully before backing any more of these campaigns. They just end up costing me too much and I could probably get more for my dollar by buying several smaller games.

8th
    Participant

They have you by the short hairs if they make products ks only. If you want it, you get ripped off on postage.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Update today saying they’ll send stat clips for free – so kudos to Mythic for that!

8th
    Participant

I still think they should send the 1.5 update free, or post free at least.

We beta tested it for them. Consider it reward for doing so.

Updating dashboards from pdf would cost too much and quality would be poor.

Only way I can justify the 1.5 is buy something else and reluctant to give them money… feels like extortion.

And @UH… Isn’t it monolith now, not mythic? They got a divorce.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yeah, you’re right, I forget who owns what!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.