Home Forums The Gaming Room Online Boardgaming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    UthorocUthoroc

Due to a certain world-wide situation, online boardgaming is at an all time-high obviously, and I was wondering what everyone else been trying in that regard. Here’s what I’ve played recently through various online channels…

Champions of Midgard (on Tabletopia)
    Roll Player (Tabletopia)
    Eight-minute Empire: Legends (Tabletopia)
    War of the Ring (its own Java Client)

I’m planning or would like to play:
    Root (Tabletop Simulator)
    Scythe (Tabletopia)
    Nemesis (Tabletop Simulator)

Participant

Just started a game of Nemesis last night via TTS. Unfortunately one of the players dropped out due to internet connectivity issues. Hopefully it’ll be sorted out before this coming Wednesday night when we plan to resume.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

I tried Tabletopia before the crisis…and could never find someone to play. Do you have a free or paid account? Maybe I should try again.

We played TI4 with TTS and with steam chat or discord it works very well. All those long set-up and fiddly to manage games are really great online…if the UI is programmed right. One-click and all is set up or cleaned up etc. Saves a lot of time with those games!

UthorocUthoroc

I’ve got a free account on Tabletopia at the moment. My brother-in-law got himself the premium version, at least for the free month when signing up.

Keymaster

Been meaning to try out Tabeltopia. Will and I play a lot of Memoir 44 online (and plan to record some games), we play the DCC lankhmar RPG once a week now, and I’m trying to sort out the technical issues of WOTR with Uthoroc’s help!

Participant

I have both Tabletopia and TTS, so either works for me

Keymaster

I finally got WOTR online working last night! It was unbelievably non-intuitive. ๐Ÿ™‚ Still, excited to finally be able to play that.

Also downloaded Tabletop Simulator and played a game of Drako with a friend – it worked well.

UthorocUthoroc

Yay! ๐Ÿ˜€ Can you say what the cause of the problem was?

Keymaster

Well, I don’t understand it at all. We used Hamachi and set up a network link, but Dylan (my opponent) hosted a game and I tried to join it, WOTR wouldn’t accept the IP address of that network. In the end, we stumbled across the solution. Dylan had that IP address in both the grey bar of Hamachi (next to the ‘on’ button) and the network description line, but for some inexplicable reason I had a different IP address in that grey bar (though the same one in the description line). I tried hosting the game, and he connected using that IP address.

I don’t know why there was a different IP address there, or why we can’t share a game using the address of the network that Dylan created, even though we know we’re linked on that network (we can chat through Hamchi so we know that works).

Anyway, it’s finally working. But it’s a ridiculously non-intuitive process that I still don’t understand. Software engineers really do think in a different way than other people! ๐Ÿ˜‰

UthorocUthoroc

Weird, but good to know in case other people experience similar problems. Thanks!

In case anyone here wants to try a game of War of the Ring via the client with me, let me know! ๐Ÿ™‚

There is a Discord server available for War of the Ring where I’m on, if anyone uses that: https://discord.gg/9uCqfv

Keymaster

We will definitely do that Ralf, let me get a bit more experienced with the interface and weโ€™ll tee it up.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

I am really torn about WotR. I played a couple of games inside a few weeks. We played with 2v2. Each side had a seasoned player and a noob (one was me) All of those matches were very one-sided. Either critical cards did not show up…and it looks like there are crazy powerful ones in the game that make a huge difference. Dice roles with sieges or spotting the fellowship went so wrong so many times in a row. Just so many bad card/dice combos that made those games a lost cause for one side. Like getting nearly no recruiting dice etc. And not one of those games…but all of them. I gave up because it seemed like to much luck with dice rolls and card draws involved. Is that due to the game design or did we play wrong/bad…or is that a 2vs2 thing and 1v1 goes better. I have no clue. But what I know is that those games were not fun. I really like the theme and I really want to like the game…so maybe you two (Ralf and Peter) can help. I am up for an online game…if you are up to “enlighten” a disheartened noob ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.