Home Forums The Gaming Room Online Boardgaming

Viewing 6 posts - 13 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I’ve never played it 2v2, and can’t really imagine playing it that way; it’s a 2 player game in every way. I’m afraid this is one of those rare instances where you just missed something or got it wrong Soulsorceror – it’s an amazing game that has stood the test of time, and it’s incredibly balanced despite its complexity.

I’m still working on getting comfortable with the online interface so it will be a while before I have time to tak on a noob. 🙂 Perhaps Ralf, who plays far more often?

UthorocUthoroc

I’d be happy to do an online game, noob or not-noob! Let me know when you have time … I got quite a bit on my hands recently, in the evenings. 😉

As Peter said, it is really a 1 vs 1 game at heart and by far not as well-balanced with 2 vs 2. That’s not to say that I haven’t had fun playing that way, but 1 vs 1 is clearly where the game shines.

Participant

@Universal Head: There’s a variant (forgot if it was official or not) where the 2 sides in WOTR were divided among 4 players. Hence 2 vs 2.

UthorocUthoroc

Karsten (Soulsorcerer and I) successfully played WotR via the java client yesterday. Successful for him I should add, my military push floundered so badly in Gondor! Hunting the Fellowship was a little bit better, but not good enough to prevent him from dunking the rung in turn 12.

We had a bit of technical problem in that the connection kept dropping, which always cause the client to lock up. Fortunately, reloading, reconnecting and syncing the game always worked quickly and flawlessly.

For reference, if the client hangs up, do the following:

1. Save the game
    2. Both players close the client and start it again
    3. Host loads the save game and starts hosting again.
    4. Other player connects and chooses “Synchronize with opponent” from multiplayer menu.
    5. Don’t do or type anything until the syncing is complete, then both players view their card hands again.
    6. Continue playing.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Thanks for the game Ralf! Especially for your patience with me (and the client problems….probably on my end)!

Took some time to get those 12 rounds in due to him explaining a lot to me…rules and strategy. And sharing some pro tips along the way and explaining differences between my 1. Ed. and the 2. Ed. The client is really nicely done…even with cool sound effects 🙂 All in all it was a fun game…with quite some interesting occurrences! Got a bit one-sided due to incredible dice luck on my side and the opposite on his. I am quite sure the “let the noob win” dice manipulation was switched “on” for this 😉 Still the last tile draw could have won him the game with a bit of luck…which was not on his side this evening.

But despite that with a 1v1 compared to the 2v2 I knew before it was a much more enjoyable game. I think for 2 main reasons. First I was much more involved. And second Ralf is a great player. Even those stupidly lucky dice roles just made him laugh. And I realized it afterward how important that positive attitude towards “bad luck” is for a game in general. Sulking and complaining about what did not go as planned and should have worked etc. sucks the fun out of a game so much (which was the case in those one-sided 2v2).

So thank you again Ralf. I am in for another match in the future. 🙂

Keymaster

Good points, WOTR is definitely a game where you have to do the best with what you get. That’s the challenge!

Viewing 6 posts - 13 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.