Home Forums The Workshop Painting Buddha

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Have any of you guys watched the Painting Buddha videos on Youtube?

The guys do a fantastic job, both from a painting and production perspective.

They work toward a “showcase” standard of painting, but I’ve already seen improvement in my skills by following some of their principles and advice on my gaming pieces.

They recently launched a Patreon account in response to the unsustainability of their previous business model, and are very deserving of any support they can get.

Check them out here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/paintingbuddha

I’m curious to hear feedback and if anyone has been putting any of their teachings to practice.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thanks mate, great link and I’m sure I’ll be able to pick up some good tips there. My only criticism is I wish they’d edit the videos more – I rarely have the time to sit down and watch 50 minutes of video solely dedicated to painting a blue cloak!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I understand your point.

But for me, that’s one of my main draws to it. I don’t always have the time either to watch the whole thing, but I love watching it in real time here and there. The slower pacing is more helpful for my learning style I suppose.

And the discussion between the off-camera person and painter is great.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ll have to find the time to watch them, because I feel like my painting has come up against a bit of a wall lately. Then again, I’m not sure if I’m dedicated enough to bother with really advanced techniques, as I paint to play, not display.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Your tabletop is standard is very good though. And you get them done so fast I’m just a little jealous. 🙂

I try to go for speed from time to time but my perfectionist side never lets me do it. I struggle to overcome that because painting takes me forever and I can’t finish any projects. It’s frustrating at times.

But then I think about what I enjoy most about the hobby and it really comes down to the feeling of personal satisfaction/pride/fulfillment/whatever in doing my best with each piece.

Holding it up after it’s done and saying, “That looks really good, and I did it with my own two hands.”

So it doesn’t bother me so much.

Ok, how much do I owe you for this therapy session? Haha!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I was more of a perfectionist when I was younger and my eyesight was better, I must admit. While I still take pride in my painted figures, the focus (ha!) has changed to making them look good for gaming, so I cut corners to speed things up, like not blending shading and highlighting as carefully as I used to. But I can completely understand the desire to the best job possible and the pride in doing that. So in other words, just keeping doing what gives you the most satisfaction!

The therapy comes free with your donation. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.