Home Forums The Workshop Painting Infinity: Operation Icestorm

This topic contains 33 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Finished the Orc tropper from my Infinity starter box. I tried doing non-metallic metal with my airbrush, following the guide by Angel Giraldez, but my skills aren’t up to that task yet. So I redid this guy using 100% brushwork, and I’m happy with how it turned out. Hopefully the rest of my army doesn’t take so long now that I’ve decided how to tackle them.

orc1
    orc2
    orc3

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Now only these guys left to paint. ๐Ÿ˜› I painted and sealed all of the nomad bases with the airbrush before mounting the figures and masking them with tape to to paint the figures. Maybe a little out of order from what most people do, but oh well. this way allowed me to get a nice even application of the paint on the bases. They turned out really nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Infinity1

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Great to see your ongoing progress on these mate. I must finish mine!

razide
    Participant

Nice work on the Orc tropper. Are you going to give him any insignia ?
    Your Nomads look pretty spiffy; you could almost leave them like that with just a few splashes of colour.
    I see you have Miranda Ashcroft,BountyHunter too; nice model but I keep wanting to do something about the way her sword arm looks.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Thanks Razide. I want to learn how to do decals and add insignias. I’ve never done that before though, so not sure how to approach it.

razide
    Participant

I recall seeing some info about designing your own decals and printing them out on special transfer paper.
    The concern was often dealing with white if your design included it, on the transparent film as printers don’t normally do white.

I’ve been thinking about looking through left over decals from 144th scale planes and other infantry vehicles for anything suitable. Some model shops used to sell a wide range of decal sheets in various scales.
    I have a pile of old GW ones but they are not really suitable in most cases.

I’ve seen several requests on Infinity’s forum for decals too.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I’ve actually come across very nice decal sheets for Intinity. My hesitation / uncertainty is in the actual process of applying them. I’ve watched a couple videos, and there’s some “pre-scoring” and a couple different liquids to buy, and I’ve just never worked with any of that. It looks simple enough. I’ve just not tried it, and I’m nervous to stick something to my mini and mess it up.

razide
    Participant

My aircraft modelling friend was only recently extolling the virtues of decal mediums. He was putting on a coat of what seems like gloss varnish then applying the decal and putting matt or gloss varnish over it afterwards.

The small curved surfaces on some figures could cause problems trying to achieve flat and proper adhesion unless cut first.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

With all the Infinity talk in the other thread, it occurred to me that I haven’t shared some of my most recent miniatures here.

Mobile Brigada from Operation: Icestorm
    MB1
    MB2

Fusiliers
    Fus1
    FS2
    fus3

WIP Fusilier squad
    fus4
    fus5

Practicing eyes on Trauma Doc and Machinist.
    supp

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Jeez โ€™Slug, youre painting is improving by leaps and bounds.

8th
    Participant

I don’t even try eyes… too fiddly.

I have an illuminated magnifier that helps a lot, but not got time time or patience for fine details like eyes.

Currently painting up the last of my Imperial Assault miniatures. Five more in the post as I weakened and bought the dead ones (Obi Wan, Greedo, Inqisitor) plus Lando and Bossk.

Soon Jabba and his Rancor will be joining the paint queue.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

The eyes definitely take time and patience. As much as I’d like to ignore them, I can’t. The second I finish a proper eye, the mini “comes to life” for me.

It’s that second that the mini goes from “crummy piece of lifeless plastic” to “little piece of plastic with personality.” I could have the rest of the mini finished, but if the eyes aren’t done properly, it just feels dead to me.

I’m working on a hero miniature for Descent right now that I don’t think I’ll be able to do eyes on. His face is really squinshed up and there’s nowhere to really paint the eyes. It’s bugging me…just a little bit…yeah.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.