Home Forums The Storage Room Planning your designs – A Beginner Happy to be here.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by MarcellusWallace MarcellusWallace 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bremic
    Bremic
    Participant

I am a long time gamer who has never been crafty (based in Melbourne, Australia just as an FYI). Now I am starting to play with foamcore storage mods for my games. I have done a pretty awful one for the Call of Cthulhu LCG, and a slightly better one for Android: Netrunner. Next I am going to try the Merchant of Venus one I found on this site – it looks amazing, though it’s a little daunting.

What I would be interested in knowing is how people determine the best way to design their mods. For the card games it’s pretty simple, but I am looking at Cosmic Encounter, and there are quite a few options. A few of the ideas I did the math and they just wont fit, others seem like they would fit; but would be either really awkward to use or look ugly.

How do people plan what they want to do for the most efficiency?

I have been even wondering if I should look at a place that makes quality wooden boxes to make some larger than standard game box size boxes for me and the games I love the most get these, so I have more room and more options.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more and working to improve my designs.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hi Brenic, welcome to the forums!

I’m not very good at answering this, because I’m a ‘fly by the seat of my pants’ designer when it comes to my foamcore inserts. And yet I always sem to come up with something serviceable. As you can see by my video series, I lay the components out and build it as I go. I do believe some people design them first in 3d however; if you want to go that route Sketchup is a free and easy solution (and the software I make my plans with).

I will get around to making more plans available here at the EOG, they’re a little time-consuming to make so I haven’t don too many as yet.

Bremic
    Bremic
    Participant

I have just spent the last 30 minutes watching your videos, and am flat out astounded on how fast you have done this stuff. I have been looking at Descent recently, but I am wanting to bundle by stuff together (tokens in one of the smaller boxes, cards in the other etc). I had been horrified about how to do this, but your videos have inspired me.

I have been trying to work out how to make some of the more packed things fit, specifically A Study in Emerald. I have an idea but losing the thickness of the foamcore worries me for all the wooden pieces once I fit in the sleeved cards and the tiles. I just need to be less worried about making mistakes.

I am also thinking about using 1.5mm card instead of the 5mm foamcore for the box base (possibly for MoV as well so I can fit the cards in sleeved). Have you tried this and had issues?

I suspect I am going to be here a lot with a lot of stupid questions. I look forward to learning more from you.

Thanks

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Good to hear! I’ve done about a hundred of the things so I’ve got pretty fast over the years. 🙂

I’ve used black card for the base before, usually on card game boxes so I can get those few extra millimetres. It worked fine. Once it’s in the box it stays there for good, so you can’t tell the difference. For shallow boxes like Emerald, it’s a good solution.

Don’t wory about mistakes. Foamcore isn’t too expensive so you can always start again, but it’s a very flexible material and white glue is easy to work with. You can also dry fit things first with pins before you glue.

Questions welcome. Hopefully I’ll learn some new tips from members here too.

Bremic
    Bremic
    Participant

Just 80% finished a mod for Android: Netrunner. Used the card for the bottom for those extra mm you spoke of, and only got one of the bays wrong by about 1mm, but fortunately I left enough width that the cards will still fit.

Thanks for the motivation to just jump in and try.

28green
    28green
    Participant

I try to have some kind of overall goal and then design based on that goal. For example, I recently made an insert for Last Will (with the expansion). Because the game uses six decks of cards, I wanted to make sure I created card holders for all of these decks as well as the discards. I also wanted one level of the insert to just contain the various removable trays that need to be out during the game. So the entire design was built around these goals.

I also try to look for components that are equal in size and group those together, when possible. Check out my insert for Steam Park to see what I mean.

Hope that helps!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ahh, welcome, my foamcore prodigy! If there’s someone I can say took the ball and ran with it, it’s you. Your Boardgamegeek GeekList is required reading for foamcore nuts. I’m very proud! 🙂

Bremic
    Bremic
    Participant

Well I got this complete today.

Android: Netrunner Box Mod

The Core Set and Honor and Profit take up just two of the six main bays, and on the right there is space for four different customised decks. Final step now is just to print out some dividers.

There is room on top for the manuals and the printed and laminated Rules Summaries.

28green
    28green
    Participant

Thanks so much UH! Your videos and designs have inspired quite the following of dedicated foam core enthusiasts on BGG. This geeklist now has over 250 different foam core creations and more are added every week!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Nice one Bremic!

Excellent Geeklist 28green – I hadn’t seen that one before.

AdamDork
    Participant

Might not be as pretty as 28green but I added my 1st foamcore attempt to the geeklist. Quite proud of my Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak/Blood in the Forest storage. It took me a good couple hours and I was doing it on the fly. I knew I wanted some sort of token tray and card tray but I had a lot of last minute changes like cutting out the bottoms and top to make things fit.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Excellent! Pro tip – frequent fresh blades will get you cleaner cuts. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.