Home Forums The Gaming Room Rising Sun by CoolMiniOrNot on Kickstarter

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Kent
    Participant

Hey all,

I am curious what everyone’s thought is on the new CMON Kickstarter Rising Sun. It is a Japanese themed game with some outstanding look miniatures.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-sun?ref=recommended

I am a bit turned off by the preview video they showed, I don’t think I would like the alliance mechanic. I am half tempted to back it for the minis, especially with all the extra stretch goal minis you get for the base price. Still unsure on some of the themes as it seems they really went full on stereotype with the theme (‘Bonsai’ clan? Panda warrior? Pandas arent even native to Japan, just China! Cmon CMON.)

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ve backed in, though I’m not particularly impressed with the graphic design; there’s such a rich heritage of Japanese design history to draw on, and these visuals and type choices are disappointing. The miniatures are stunning however, and Blood Rage is a great game, so I suspect this will be in the same vein.

CK Lai
    Participant

Got my Rising Sun last week, unwrapped and tried a run through (solo) of the rules with 3 clans.

The system plays much smoother than Blood Rage. Almost eliminates luck (you just need to randomly assign clans to players) and everything else is strategy, bluff and your negotiation skills.

That said, the last 2 elements might not appeal to everyone. I’m waiting for this weekend when I will be playing a full on 3-4 player game (depending who shows up).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I played it with 4 on Tuesday night and it was excellent. Lots and lots of interesting choices, and we hardly touched on the possibilities for alliances and general negotiation. The combat system is ingenious. Highly recommended.

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yes, great little story that. My NZ friends here were most amused!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.