Home Forums The Gaming Room RPG Style Games…

This topic contains 38 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 8th 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Universal Head
    Keymaster

38 years since I discovered my first role-playing game, The Empire of the Petal Throne. But who’s counting? 🙂

8th
    Participant

I started with ad&d in 1982. Rapidly approaching 51st birthday. Where did the years go?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Funny how we’re all roughly the same vintage! I’m approaching 50, which I must admit is freaking me out just a little bit.

It is great that our imaginations are still working so beautifully though. 🙂

8th
    Participant

Reality sucks. Fantasy much better. Bit crazy not so bad.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, I’m kind of glad I live in a world with plumbing and advanced medical science, but I love my imaginative fantasy too. 🙂

CK Lai
    Participant

Oh, gosh. I feel old… since I’m a year older than 8thP 😛

My first introduction to RPGs was D&D… but who knows what edition that was, so many years ago?

8th
    Participant

First game was high level run by experienced DM. Went badly.

Week after we had first real dungeon crawl. It was from White Dwarf, the Lichway. Then Salt Marsh Trilogy.

Been hooked ever since.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh! What a great module. I DM’d it for a group of friends and one of them, right at the start as the adventurers walked into the village, grabbed a passing peasant and screamed into his face “WHAT’S YOUR SINISTER SECRET?!”

Good times.

8th
    Participant

With Warhammer RPG the classic was the enemy within. That was a good one too.

Bet if we played them again we’d be less impressed. Old school gaming.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The first few parts of The Enemy Within are just unbeatable classics. The perfect blend of gritty horror and comedy.

8th
    Participant

Warhammer Old Word was a great setting. Medieval meets cthulhoid borror.

System was not perfect, but what system is?

Got a friend thinks Rolemaster is perfect. I don’t. Levelling up took an hour+ and critical system was too harsh.

I prefer rules lite systems now. If I can run the session without looking up a rule, that suits me fine. Cut/paste monster into adventure and away we go. Life is too short for a combat that takes four hours to complete.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I agree. My friends enjoy Pathfinder and I don’t like the min-maxxing and the endless reference to rulebooks. First edition WFRP were the best RPG times for me, and it fitted perfectly with my concept of fantasy: gritty, grimy, Monty Python/Jabbywocky, and very English/European. I’ve never clicked with the superheroes-in-plate-mail idea of fantasy.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.