Home Forums The Gaming Room Runewars headed for the bargain bin?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CK Lai 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Universal Head
    Keymaster

I had a feeling FFG wouldn’t really get behind this game enough. Coupled with the slow release schedule, it seems like the writing is on the wall for Runewars:

FFG ends Runewars organized play support

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

The writings been there for a while, yes. I console myself that it is a fully functional game with 4 factions and a great selection of units/miniatures. I also have some people around here which will still play it, so it’s at least not dead on my shelf.

Still a shame though such an excellent game design. Tactically and game-play wise, it beats all GW games I’ve tried hands down.

It’s partially FFG’s own fault for messing up the release schedule and creating in-house competition with SW: Legion, but it is also a hard market to get a foot in.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

I just don´t like it when FFG does that…being silent after vague announcements. Is only the OP support dead…or the game itself…not clear from the post…but that is FFG for you. Don´t expect them to give straight answers to people who gave them their money in good faith…sad 🙁

I like the mechanics a lot…and if it goes in the sales bin I am tempted to grab some additional stuff for my base game.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, they want to make a big noise when they announce a new game, but I can understand them wanting to be quite when they take something away! I can understand the annoyance if you’ve sunk a lot of money into the system though. FFG don’t have a great record for this kind of thing, which is why I completely avoided both this and Legion.

CMON seem to be canning Wrath of Kings too, which is frustrating; it never got the support it deserved.

I suppose this is why people stick with GW even though their game mechanics are pretty crap – it’s not like they’re going to junk W40K anytime soon.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@uthoroc If I wanted to get the 2 factions in the base game fleshed out so that I could play the game with a friend comfortably….what amount off expansions would you suggest? Is one off each enough…or would I need some multiple times?
    Magierspiele has some interesting prices right now 🙂

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

One of each expansion is fine and gives both sides the material to build a full army for a great game – just without much variation. Adding a second base game will help a lot there, as it allows you too field a much larger variety of the base troops, and it’s the most cost-effective way to do that.

Of the units not in the base box I would consider a second box in the following order (but none of these are necessary):

– Crossbowmen (their best formation needs 3 trays)
    – Wraiths (ditto)
    – Command unit for either (you might want to field a second banner bearer, champion, etc.)
    – Reanimates (to build the REALLY large formations and have spares for Ankaur Maro)
    – Outland Scouts (the can form a really powerful unit with 4 trays and Kari embedded)
    – Carrion Lancers (to build the dreaded “Worm Star” of 6 carrion lancers)
    – Death Knights (you can never have enough Death Knights)
    – Oathsworn Knights (only if you REALLY want more cavalry)

I’m clearly biased towards Waiqar as that is my faction of choice.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

@soulsorcerer Und wenn du es einfach mal ausprobieren willst bevor du bestellst, sag Bescheid und wir können uns gerne zu einer Partie treffen.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@Ulthoroc Thanks for the offer…might take you up on it. I am really torn atm. I like the dial system and just for that I want to be able to play…but after that huge black Friday shopping spree with Dark Age and WoK I can´t really go wild again. So the sensible thing right now would be to wait and see how the market for this game evolves….

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

There’s always Infinity 🙂

CK Lai
    Participant

Good grief. It’s only been a year and FFG are dumping the game? Takes time to develop a base and cancelling tournaments isn’t the way to do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.