Home Forums The Gaming Room Runewars Miniatures Game

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Soulsorcerer Soulsorcerer 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

At last, something new and exciting from FFG!

Runewars Miniatures Game

While the last thing I need is another fantasy tabletop miniatures game, and the Runewars setting is somewhat generic, this does look as if something new is being brought to the genre without shying away from some of the classic complexities like rank and file manoeuvring.

Having seen all of these types of games change to a skirmish format with individual models bunched together, it’s really refreshing to see blocks of troops again. And I love the built-in movement trays that actually lock together when opponents are locked together in combat!

The variety of troop options built into the dials is nice too. The sculpts look a cut above the usual FFG stuff; I hope the detail remains in the final figures.

The core set is definitely a must-buy for me, and I hope the game plays well enough to justify buyng more troops. Though I imagine it won’t come cheap!

8th
    Participant

Everything seems to be $100 for base set now.

Does look impressive, as does Arkham LCG. Seems we are in for some gaming treats that don’t have ‘kickstarter’ on the box.

8th
    Participant

I do like the look of Runewars, but I would like to know more about the box contents.

As I have committed a large sum to Warmachine & Hordes, I would be reluctant to part with any money for Runewars if the starter box has very little variety and only small armies.

Replay becomes limited with only a few units to choose from and the thought of spending significant sums to add variety is off putting.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I think we can see what’s the box set figure-wise from the pics – 4 mounted figures, 16 spearmen, a golem and a commander for the Daqan Lords faction, and 8 skeleton bowmen, 16 skeleton infantry, a skeleton on a giant worm and a commander for the Waiqar the Undying faction. That’s about all abyone could expect for US$100. Tabletop miniatures games ain’t cheap, and a starter set is always going to be just a starter set!

I’m more concerned about the quality of the figure sculpts. I expect much better quality for tabletop miniatures games than I do for boardgames, and the Daqan Lords commander figure looks a bit dinky to me. I’ll have to wait until I see them ‘in the plastic’ as it were.

8th
    Participant

Yeah! That’s what I thought as army complement, but it’s a bit limited.

Guess it depends how much add-on units will cost.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

After seeing more pics here, I’m even more concerned about the quality of the miniature sculpts. I’m not seeing much artistic flair – look for example at those thick, bunched up ‘flowing’ sleeves and robes flying in all directions. It all looks a bit clunky and a distinct level below WoK figures.

CK Lai
    Participant

FFG could very well be giving us minis the quality of Battlelore 2.0.

Decent, but not up to WoK standards. Then again, we may not have to assemble them, either 😛

Universal Head
    Keymaster

They appear to be 28-32mm scale, but yeah, BattleLore sculpt quality would definitely give me second thoughts about investing in a whole new system.

Look at the undead sorcerer for example – the huge links on the chain around his waste, the clunky way the robe flows, the poor muscle work on the chest. And the skeleton riding a worm looks like a lot of the detail is painted in.

Maybe the game will occupy a more light, beer & pretzels niche in my tabletop miniatures gaming collection, and the figure quality won’t matter so much. But it’s a shame they don’t seem to have hired on some really good sculptors to give the Terrinoth world a bit of pizzazz.

Anyway, let’s wait and see until we get bigger pics.

CK Lai
    Participant

If you want mass fantasy battles, how about Kings of War?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I don’t like Mantic figures at all. 🙂

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Think I read something about 2-3 pieces to put together…and as an easy entry system beeing a bit more “chunky” would fit.
    Has a bit of a World of Warcraft feel to it too…and that might be appealing to lots of “soon to be tabletop players”…we will see 😉

8th
    Participant

Just watched the demo on BGG and not as interested in Runewars now.

Nothing wrong with it, but nothing innovative enough in that demo to convince that I would play it instead of Warmachine or Hordes.

And it would cost a small fortune to beef up the armies to make it interesting…. already done that for Warmachine and Hordes.

Plus big battles need a 6×3 battlemat and don’t have space for that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.