Home Forums The Gaming Room Sedition Wars 2.0

This topic contains 40 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  CK Lai 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 41 total)
  • Author

CK Lai
    Participant

After buying (retail) assembling and starting to play the game 2 years ago, I stopped after 2 games. Rules felt a bit fiddly. Not quite sure what was going on or what I was doing.

Now, after the complete v.2.0 rules have finally come out, and using our esteemed Universal Head of the EoG’s excellent rules summary (but not cards, I’ll show why later) I’ve come back to it and I’m now playing the full Outbreak Campaign.

Good news: the 2.0 rules now work very well. A bit of matching some concepts together (My pet peeve: why oh why do games designers/publishers feel they have to reinvent the wheel? Vector = LoS!!! Staging = Critical hits!!! Reflex Trigger = Overwatch!!!) everything flowed well.

The game is now as advertised: “game play is fast and bloody, creating urgency and claustrophobic terror as the Vanguard fight for their lives against an unrelenting Strain”; “innovative one-roll resolution system (it’s OK, but not sure if it’s innovative or not) and reactive game-play turn that keeps all players always on alert and ready for action (this part is true!), as well as infection and mutation (and evolution!) game mechanisms , the game is unique and revolutionary (Unique? Possibly. Revolutionary? hmmmm….).” (OK, example: I had a Strain Grendlr swallow a Vanguard Grenadier… the other Vanguard attempted to kill the creature and rescue their teammate in 1 turn. They didn’t make it. The Grendlr then performed some Exogenesis magic on the Grenadier in its stomach. The next turn, the Vanguard managed to kill the Grendlr, but using the last Trooper’s last activation. The Grendlr split open, the Grenadier fell out of its guts. Sadly, it had been infected with nano-viruses and was at Infection Level 4 … the maximum. In the Strain Phase, the Grenadier mutated into a Stage 2 Quasimodo monster! Imagine if you were watching that in a movie. The game provides you with moments like that.)

So yeah… Space Hulk Space Marines (in all but name) vs Space Zombies/Aliens. It works. Very asymmetric play. Strain manages nano resources. Vanguard is always understrength and overwhelmed but has awesome firepower.

I’m now in Mission 6 of the Outbreak Campaign. I can usually get through 2 missions a night, it plays that quickly.

I’ve also prepped some game aids to help me keep track of all the wounds and stat counters so they don’t mess up the boards.

Works for me 😉 (Of course, with all the bling for the game, I now have to PAINT my minis and terrain!!!)

So… now the game is going for a song in many places (did I hear $20 being bandied about???) you can confidently buy it and download the excellent rules summaries from here and be confident you’ll get a good game (if it’s the kind of game you’re looking for).

One CON: the minis. Oh the minis. Worse than original Deadzone Enforcers. And that’s saying a lot. In terms of assembly. The sculpts themselves are gorgeous and very ambitious. So caveat emptor. 🙂

8th
    Participant

I got Sedition Wars for £15 in UK. Still on my assemble list. Some of them are a nightmare by the look of it.

I have asked CMON to send me the 2.0 Rules and they keep promising, but no sign of them yet.

CK Lai
    Participant

Minis: if you’re an experienced miniatures guy, you’ll know what to do. But it is a pain. No getting past that 🙁 But the game is really fun. Proxy with other minis? If you’ve got Space Marine type minis and zombie-ish minis ….

Rule book 2.0 : don’t bother. CMON’s support (never really good in the best of times) seems to have gone downhill (my own anecdotal evidence. YMMV). The rule book isn’t even current!

Seriously : UH’s rules summaries and cards are all you need to play the game. He’s got the most up-to-date rules to be found on the web that incorporates all the available official errata. (OK, maybe that was a bit of hyperbole. Download the 2.0 rules and read them to get a sense of the fluff and thinking behind the game design. Then use the EoG summaries to play the game.)

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thanks mate, glad to see all that work being of use. Are you playing solo using the solo rules?

I’ve painted all my figures so I must get this to the table again; I never got around to using the v2 rules.

razide
    Participant

Most of my KS stuff has been painted to board/table top quality so I should re-try the V2 rules. Some of the KS civvies have been moonlighting as HVP and extra for Infinity of late.

CK Lai
    Participant

@Universal Head : You’re welcome. Using your rules summaries, I discovered a couple of errors and maybe some places where you could make some useful additions. I’ll post those over at the rules summary page. 🙂

I haven’t used the solo rules yet. From all accounts, they work but they are such a chore to slog through. Lots of conditions etc. Worse than MERCS Recon in that respect. At least those had cards to help you along.

I would also dare say the rules for Sedition Wars would work very well for a light tabletop skirmish game. Everything is there: force lists using points, overwatch, combined arms, LoS… just change movement from “squares” to “inches” and you’re good to go. Although the LoS rule might need to be clarified using normal tabletop minis LoS rules (base to base rather than center point to center point, obscured bases block LoS, etc.).

But the game utterly drips with theme. Think of all the SF horror type movies you’ve watched and this game will re-create them… in spades! Mission 3 had the Strain winning, killing off all Vanguard except for the last one that dissolved into a pile of gooey nano goop… while several Vanguard mutated into Strain themselves, leaving zombie Strain to shuffle aimlessly on the train platform while other Strain made it into the train that automatically carried its deadly passengers into the next station…

Have set up Mission 7 but Real Life prevents me from continuing right now… 😛

@razide : yup, rules v2.0 streamlines the game considerably, but only the rules summaries here gather ALL the latest errata that never made it into the official Rule Book v.2.0. (Not even the PDF version). You won’t find a more complete source of all the up-to-date rules elsewhere since even CMoN and McVey seem to have disavowed this game.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Mistakes?!?

Where!?!? OMG!!

I helped revise the summary, so I kinda feel a tiny bit of responsibility for it.

CK Lai
    Participant

@wonderslug : LOL! don’t worry… they were really really minor. Nothing major or show-stopping 😀

Universal Head
    Keymaster

There’s always another typo WonderSlug, no matter how hard you try. Graphic design, first lesson. 🙂

razide
    Participant

I recall McVey Studio carrying on about an expansion and new figures but as you say they’ve apparently disowned the game now.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yeah. And he was going to send me a terrain pack and he never did. 🙁

CK Lai
    Participant

@UH : that is a pity. That terrain pack is probably the best accessory you could buy for ANY game. The doors alone are worth the price of entry. Then you get all the scatter terrain and computer terminals as well. I use them all the time for Imperial Assault.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.