Home Forums The Workshop Shadows of Brimstone painted Tentacles and first painted mini

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by MarcellusWallace MarcellusWallace 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

I finally got into painting and just quickly wanted to share my first results. I’m new to painting and also new to mini-photography. On another note: How to best take photos of your minis? Do you prefer a white/grey/black background or photograph them infront of some thematic background or even on game-tiles?

A while back, shortly before i received SoB i got into painting with my first miniature ever. It was an old, never made, Warhammer Chaos Chariot from my brother. He used to play and paint but stopped and this was left over. So i took the opportunity and got it done. I was quite happy and learned a lot with this. Painted the horses first, then the two guys and lastly the waggon, then put everything together and did the base. Just learning and trying the basic techniques of basecoating, washing, drybrushing and highlighting.
    First mini
    First mini 2
    First mini 3

So now that SoB arrived i picked painting up again and am working on painting them all (including my first steps with greenstuff and everything). These tentacles are the first which are done and i’m quite happy with the color. They look like they’re right out of the void (and they are void creatures, aren’t they?). They had big mouldlines; especially the bent ones which had half of their suckers covered. I tried my best to free them and drill holes back in. You can see i went a little crazy with the grass sometimes, that’s because i was just trying out different things, less, more, all around and all that.
    SoB Tentacles
    SoB Tentacles 2

Critique is welcome! I do think now that i could have gone brighter with the highlights. I didn’t dare use much white yet. And i preferred the look before i coated them. It was a matte finish but ended up a little glossy. I probably sprayed too thick layers.

Anyway, on to the next! Also: Let’s see yours!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

They look fantastic! The chariot is an amazing result for a first paint job, and the tentacles look great. I reckon a gloss finish is good, they are tentacles after all. Nice one. I’m cleaned up and primed my City of the Ancients set and I’m just about to start painting them today.

As for photography, I keep meaning to buy a proper photo cube and some decent lights, but I haven’t got around to it yet. Your pics look great.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Almost finished the first core set MW, just the big guy to do …

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Fantastic! I finished the Hellbats so far, am working on the Hungry Dead and the Harbinger.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m dreading doing those hungry dead, they’re pretty crappy figures. Lots of drybrushing I reckon, they’re dead and dusty after all!

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Slowly but steadily i’m making progress. Did the prospectors and the ghost-like saloongirlzombies so far. I’m quite positively surprised with how they turned out. They have some details which are not that obvious because of the quality of the cast.
    I’m also having my problems with the harbinger because of all the large flat surfaces, don’t really know how to handle those.

I suppose you must be done soon now with one set?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Pic?

Yep, finished the Ancients set, all done, and the Swamps set has all the base colours done. Played my first 4 player game last night and it was a lot of fun, though we all got killed in about the third room and the combat took ages. The town section is an insane dice rolling fest. Basically, the game is crap, but still somehow manages to be a hoot! 🙂

Shadows of Brimstone

Universal Head
    Keymaster

As for large flat surfaces, use a larger, quality brush, thin your paints down, and use nice big even brushstrokes, blending the ‘layers’ together as you paint and working up to your highlights. A wet palette helps with keeping a nice dark-to-light transition of colour on your palette that you can use for a while before it dries out; dipping into the different shades as you build up the blends.

brianparker
    brianparker
    Participant

Wow! They look great.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Wow. Both of you. Great job on these minis. Looking forward to seeing more.

Peter, will you be posting closeups once the set is complete?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Absolutely. I’ve taken the pics so I’l be posting them soon.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about painting!

Your figures look wonderful on the board. Good to hear some play experience, too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.