Home Forums The Storage Room Simple insert for Soulfall

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by MarcellusWallace MarcellusWallace 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Soulfall is a pretty game, to be sure. I haven’t actually played it yet so I cannot comment on gameplay.

What I can comment on is the completely disappointing box the game comes in.

Here’s my fix.

https://plus.google.com/+CurtisDelaney/posts/2pzr7nboJh9

CK Lai
    Participant

What did the original insert look like? Typical uninspired FFG?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Never heard of the game.

Sleeving cards makes things tricky doesnt it? Rise of Cthulhu has a lovely little plastic insert, but I just had to sleeve the cards, and now the insert doesn’t work. For FFG’s Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion, you can’t even fit the cards in the box if you sleeve them!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Sleeving does make it tricky, to be sure. But I just can’t stand the thought of such pretty artwork getting scuffed up and cards damaged. I sleeve any time I can.

Soulfall is a recent release from SmallBoxGames, maker of Omen: A Reign of War, which I’ve enjoyed quite a bit. It was funded through Kickstarter. There was no insert at all.

The strangest decision made about the box design isn’t the lack of an insert, but the lid does not slide completely over the bottom box. I’m sure there’s an actual name for the design, but when the lid is closed, it only covers about half way down the bottom box. And it’s not fitted properly either, so the contents would just spill out if you set the box on its side.

Oh, and Peter, as a graphic designer, you’ll just love the decisions made with the cover art/font…

Soulfall Box

The whole production feels rushed and careless, though I have gotten some good support from the creator after the fact with some tokens that were completely defective. They should not have been approved for release. Actually….It feels sort of like a prototype. His previous game, Omen, just received a re-release with upgraded components etc. I bet this project hits Kickstarter again down the road for a similar “refresh”

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I backed Omen (love the metal coins) and played it for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it. I like the art in this one but it’s obvious he really needs to get someone in with more experience in typography.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Omen is a lot of fun.

And it’s a pretty neat feeling when every card you draw has that “oh wow, look at that art” effect on you.

And metal coins are pretty much the best thing ever.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Hehe, that’s a cute one.

And soon Monster Mansion will be shipped, it will be the first game in my collection with big metal gold coins (not actually gold…back to the ocean with you, ye scurvy dog!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.