Skip to main content

Home Forums The Smoking Room Single malt whiskies

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Drew_Grgich
    Participant

A subject almost as near and dear to me as boardgaming!

For Single Malt noobs, I always recommend Highland Park due to its amazing balance. It is not smoky like some or peaty like others – – it is just about perfect in my estimation. In my experience, folks who purport to not like single malts say so because someone foisted a smoke or peat bomb on them like Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Ardbeg. To me, the 18-yr is close to perfect but the standard 12-yr is great also.

Glenlivet is also well balanced but to me, just a bit more harsh than my beloved Highland Park.

Once you’re ready for a bit more smoke/peat without too much iodine/sea characterics, I recommend Talisker. This scotch is pleasantly smoky without too much of the presence of a Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I have a dram of the 2001 to hand as I reply. A lovely drop, a tad lacking in complexity in comparison to some, but very tasty.

This thread has inspired me to do a bit more study again! 🙂

WonderSlug
    Participant

Where would something like Johnny Walker fall into these characterizations, ie. smokey, peaty, etc.

The few occasions I’ve had to drink scotch whiskey has always been with clients, lawyers, and the Johnny Walkers (blue, black, etc) seem to be very popular choices among those groups. I know those carry a high price tag, but are they really good? Are they something a noob should even be attempting to appreciate? To me they taste like the insides of a burnt cask, but what do I know?

Great write ups. I’ll definitely have to give some of these a go. Balanced flavour and “not smokey” are both appealing descriptions to me.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

While I haven’t bothered to spend any time with Johnnie Walker, they’re blends, mass-produced, and more for drinking (my father loved scotch and soda, but I’ve never understood the attraction myself) than tasting. There are so many wonderful, complex, interesting whiskies out there that paying a premium for something like JW Blue isn’t worth the time or expense in my view. There are a lot of traps out there to tempt buyers into buying less-than-amazing whiskies – fancy packaging, overblown reputations, numbered bottles, aspirational BS and big price tags for example. The kinds of things that impress people who haven’t taken the time and trouble to appreciate the real subtleties of whiskies!

Life’s too short; go for the good stuff 🙂

WonderSlug
    Participant

Exactly the type of common sense, experience-based advice I love most.

Thanks. 🙂

razide
    Participant

Picked up Glenfiddich 12YO Single Malt set with two glasses (triangular at the base but forming a round rim) which was cheaper than the same bottle in a tin.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

This was one of my birthday presents; it’s a beautiful book and very interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Atlas-Whisky-Edition/dp/1845339428

razide
    Participant

Nice present. I hope it doesn’t lead to too many temptations down the track.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Knowledge is power! 🙂

razide
    Participant

Picked up a pack of 3 small bottles(250ml) of Hellyers Road Whisky.Single Malt Original 10 year, single Malt Pinot Noir Finish and the Peated one while in Tasmania last month.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ha! I just recently got a bottle of the 12 yo original. Lovely drop.

Pinot Noir finish? Weird.

Kent
    Participant

Any suggestions of a bottle for someone relatively new to whiskey? I don’t typically drink liquors as I stick to beer and wine.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘The Smoking Room’ is closed to new topics and replies.