Home Forums The Gaming Room So what’s everyone playing?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by WonderSlug WonderSlug 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It all seems to be about Kickstarters these days, but what’s everyone actually playing? Weigh in and let us know what your favourite games are at the moment – the ones actually getting to the table.

I’m currently game-mastering a Shadows of the Demon Lord campaign for 4 players every week, which is great fun. The system is fast and easy and the atmosphere of the game is grim fantasy with a touch of horror, a bit like WFRP.

I also have a LCG night once a week when myself and a friend play one of the Fantasy Flight LCG games: Android: Netrunner, A Game of Thrones, Star Wars, W40K: Conquest, or Warhammer: Invasion.

8th
    Participant

Once every six weeks (although we’ve had scheduling problems this year) I meet with a friend for a games day and for most of the last 12 months we’ve played Warmachine and Hordes. Next time we meet it will probably be Mark Three rules.

After the mayhem of battle we try to play something lighter, working though the backlog of purchases, but haven’t got though many.

We spent considerable time playing Tannhäuser and Tide of Iron before that and plan to go back at some point, but not sure when.

Once a week I play RPGs with another trio. I’m usually GM, but been uninspired late!y, so taking a break while someone else runs D&D5. Again, there have been health issues and one of us has been missing most weeks, so I end up running something else.

Been trying to find something that works for me as GM and them as players, but struggling to do so, which is why we’ve been playing dungeon crawlers like Imperial Assault and Shadows of Brimstone. Painting Descent at moment, so that will be next.

I want to run Marvel Heroic RPG, but the dice pool is….. aargghhh!

So in short, gaming is unpredictable.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’ll be giving Warmachine some attention when I get my stuff back from storage (yes I know, that old refrain), as I have Cryx and Menoth armies. Feel free to comment on the Mk3 rules when you play them, though it’s been years since I played last.

I’ve collected a lot of Tannhäuser stuff but never really had a good game of it; looking forward to trying it again one day.

I’m busy painting up Deathwatch Overkill at the moment, it’s a huge job. Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower is on it’s way and that’ll be a mammoth painting project too.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

We just played two more scenarios from Descent’s “Heir of Blood” campaign on Saturday and it was excellent. Especially the first one was exceptionally close and had all our adrenaline levels going through the roof.

I’ve managed to play SW: Rebellion and Age of Conan (with the new expansion) once each, and I’m now hoping for more chances.

Apart form that I still regularly manage to play my favorite, War of the Ring, if not on the table, then via the online client.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I got Heir of Blood recently, I’d like to try it out. Ditto Age of Conan’s new expansion. Rebellion has only got one ‘test play’ and there’s a lot to discover there.

So many games! Recently I’m really doing my best to ease off on the new ones and enjoy what I have.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hold on, Ralf, there’s an online version of WotR??

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Don’t tell me you’re not aware of the fan-made java client for WotR! :O You can grab it here. It’s basically a virtual game board, a bit similar to Vassal, but specifically made for War of the Ring. We use it all the time for an international community of WotR players (with Facebook group and ranking system).

I am waiting for one more new game at the moment: The new edition of Mare Nostrum.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Now Will and I can finally play games of WotR online! I’ll check it out. Does it work OK on a Mac?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Since I already had Java installed because Adobe programs still use it (despite the fact Apple sees it as verboten for security reasons), it seems to work fine! Oh dear, time sink …

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Yes, as you see, it does work fine on the Mac.

With Skype on and a nice glass of wine or bottle of beer it’s the next best thing to actually having the game on the table. 😀

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Brilliant, thanks mate!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Have you played the Battle games? I bought the expansion (though it’s in storage) but never got around to playing either of those. And are there any plans to make Battle of the Five Armies?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.