Home Forums The Gaming Room Solo Board Game Recommendations?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 13 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

@Kvamzi For a good look at Blackstone Fortress go to Ash Barkers Guerrilla Miniature Games channel. He is a really nice guy and has a healthy attitude towards gaming in general…imho. I like his reviews and battle reports and he does a ton of stuff.

@UH Oh…yeah! Had forgotten about that one. The one that started the co-op games. That is actually a good idea to get that one out again…thanks!

KvamziKvamzi
    Participant

Thanks for the tip! Been watching some of the Warcry content on that channel before, but never Blackstone.

I’ve been checking out Blackstone Fortress in the last couple of days and went ahead an ordered a copy. It seems to look really good on the table.

dropdeadcriminaldropdeadcriminal
    Participant

The ones on my list for isolation are:
    War of the Ring – (actually just finished this one). It is easy enough to play against yourself. The only knowledge you have is knowing the other players hand, and you rarely ever take an action because of it, you only restrain from taking an action because of it, so you can easily say this is what I would do if I did not know what I know (it spoils the surprises, but tis the price you pay)
    Shadows of Brimstone
    Pendragon (or any COIN game)
    Nemesis
    Mage Knight
    Planet Apocalypse (when the damn thing finally gets here)
    and I think I want to pull Middle Earth Quest out, but I dont remember the rules so I dont know how hard it will be to play both sides fairly.

Keymaster

But surely as the Shadow player you know where the Fellowship is? And what about combat cards? I wouldn’t have thought WOTR was a good solo candidate…

KvamziKvamzi
    Participant

I got Blackstone Fortress and have gone through two “combats” and one “challenge”. I like it, good mechanics and theme. Printed out a rules summary, built myself a foamcore insert and primed the minis. Looking forward to get them painted. And there’s still expansions coming out so this game will keep me busy for some time.

Keymaster

Definitely time to get Blackstone out again soon.

KvamziKvamzi
    Participant

Would love to see a playthrough 🙂

Participant

HA, as the Free Peoples Player I don’t know where the fellowship is. I don’t really land on a plan until I get revealed, then I pick a location based on the current board state.
    The combat cards are not a problem. You look at them and decide what you would play in the situation. You may know the other player has a card that would counter it, but that does not matter, just be honest with yourself about what you would play if you didn’t know and it works fine.

Keymaster

I suppose you could do that with any game, sure!

Participant

There are a few types of games it does not work for, for me.
    Hidden Movement (lifrform, Sekigahara) – It is too difficult to separate info you should know from stuff you shouldn’t.
    Card based combat (Kemit, Dune) – The result is too immediate and the comparison is too direct.
    Anything that relies heavily on bluffing (coup) – I cant bluff myself.
    Hidden Action (game of thrones) – See Bluffing and Hidden movement.

Ya, I play a lot of games by myself even before this.

Participant

I play everything solo because I have no friends and my wife doesn’t like games.

Viewing 11 posts - 13 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.