Home Forums The Smoking Room Spartan Games and Tor Gaming closed

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Soulsorcerer Soulsorcerer 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Very sad to see that ๐Ÿ™ Both had imho interesting minis ranges.

Tor had a 2nd Edition of their game Relics in the works….and those minis where really an interesting and different “flavor” that I always found to be cool…Britanan especialy ๐Ÿ™‚

Sparten had many cool IPยดs…and problems to continuesly support them all. But from Uncharted Sea over Firestorm Armada/Planetfall to Distopian Wars/Legions and finally the big “video gamers to tabletop gamers” gateway game license Halo…they had lots of awesome stuff. In the end not enough turn around to sustain a healthy business.
    On top of that..one of the main guys was and still is very ill…so this is even more sad ๐Ÿ™

Just followed the KS for Firestorm Armada 3.0…had my eye on most of those games as “on the list” games…and I admitt that that list is quite long ๐Ÿ™ Hope some stuff getยดs picked up and maybe have a happy end like carnevale.

What do you guys think of this sudden one-two punch in the business…and whats your opinion on those games and the market!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Well…like the response here…it seems like they where quite the exotic range not many cared about. For me they where on the “some time in the future list” to and I did not go out of my way to get into.

But at least Relic was picked up by TT-Combat. Maybe we will see a KS for resin minis of Relic in the future.

Meanwhile Megacon Games (Myth and Mercs 2.0) is rumored to be the next company closing doors. Is the “golden age of gaming” starting to deteriorate. Is the number of games/companys growing faster than the market/player base???

CK Lai
    Participant

MegaCon is trying to sell off their IPs so they can focus on designing games.

They design good games but were pretty bad as a games company and horrible customer relationships/communication.

What’s sad is: my all-in Myth Journeyman is now hostage to the sale. If they fail, I don’t get my Myth ๐Ÿ™

Spartan Games : I was interested in playing Firestorm : Planetfall … but couldn’t get any other gamers in my area interested.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Fingers crossed that you will get your stuff!

I wonder why some small companys have such problems with communication…and others have figured out that that is the one thing they can shine at and build a loyal community…maybe the most important factor for a small company in this crowded niche market today.

CK Lai
    Participant

@Soulsorceror : thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed too. Regarding their communications (or lack thereof) I think it’s down to the personality of one of the bosses. I’ve watched some videos they’ve done and while his heart seems to be in the right place, communicating and building rapport doesn’t seem to be one of his strengths.

Also, I noticed you backed the recent Escape KS and was asking about v1.0 gameplay?

I did a review a couple of years back and you can find it here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1346323/post-apocalyptic-review

PM me if you want the difference between v.1.0 and 2.0.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@CK Lai Thanks for the link…will have a look at it.

Talking about having problems with communication…that KS was a prime example how to NOT do it. Funded…yes…but the most “unfun” and bad run KS I have been part of. Just horrible!!!

Had I not been backing their previus KS “Burnout”…which was great fun and good communication (really strange…same people….vastly different)…and asked for Escape repeatedly there…I would not have bothered to be part of that KS..which quite frankly lacked any kind of respekt towards the backers. I had to sent privat massages so that they would at least answer the few questions on that KS…and the excuses I got where unbelievable. But I felt obliged to be tru to my word to back it…but with a bad taste in my mouth..so to speak. I was really embarassed to have talked so highly about them over Burnout and seeing that KS desaster evolve. Burnout was my intro to Eden. Had not been playing that game bevore…after the Burnout KS I had near 100 minis of that range (quite a bargain on a convention sale…still a lot of stuff!) But I think I will not buy anything from them again after that experience….quite sad ๐Ÿ™

Have you backed 2nd Ed.?

CK Lai
    Participant

@ Soulsorceror : Yes I did. I think I’ll start another topic for Escape and we can continue there as this might be considered going off topic for the original OP ๐Ÿ™‚

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

So…now Warcradle picked up Spartan Games properties…so anything other than Halo has a new home. Good to hear. Maybe I will still get into Firestorm/Planetfall…those minis UH had looked really intresting ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh…and maybe Uncharted Sea will come back and be a Man’O’War substitute ^^

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.