Home Forums The Gaming Room Star Trek: Ascendancy

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

So I finally broke and bought Star Trek: Ascendancy; it was on special and down to an affordable price. Has anyone played it? It really seems to polarize people.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Nope…still on my “to play pile”…but looking forward to it. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Of course the challenge is that it only plays 3 players out of the box, which sucks; it should have been 4 players. I think the tactic of charging almost the price of a game again to add each extra player (they’re NZ$75 here) is really pretty outrageous. I’ll definitely be waiting until those go on special (and whether I enjoy the game or not).

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Sitting under my bed. Haven’t ever played. 🙁

Yeah! The way they’re doing the expansions is really annoying. I want to find the guy who decided to adopt the video game expansion theory to board games and beat him.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m going to try and film a battle report this time Will visits.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

It was a great battle report, it definitely made me interested in the game. I really liked how the exploration works where the board kind of gets revealed as you play. My group enjoys TI4 a good bit, I think they would like this one. One of the guys in my group played Ascendancy at Gen Con a few years ago and his big gripe was that it was 3 player only. I think they have expansions out now that fixes the player count. First time post by the way! Thanks for all of the painting advice on your YouTube page that you have given me so far.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ah Dustin, hope your minis aren’t cloudy anymore! Welcome to the EOG forums.

I’ve since bought the Cardassian and Ferengi expansions, though I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet. The only issue with the expansions of course, is that adding each other player adds to the playing time considerably, and I don’t know if I would want to go much longer than the 5 hours this game took. So I still think 3 players might be the swet spot, not that I’ve played with 4 yet. Still, we all enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to playing it again.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Hi Dustin and welcome to this rag-tag band of plastic crack addicts 😉

UH…Would you say that some of that 5 hours playtime is due to not knowing the rules well…so it would go faster with more plays???

8th
    Participant

Don’t have time for 5 hour games and doesn’t look that interesting to me.

Star Trek does tend to be a bit tedious, TV and movies included. Even the rebooted Trek was slow in the last movie.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Well, it was the second time we played but remember, I was filming. So I think you could play in 4 hours if you knew it, possibly even a tad less. The box says an hour per player which is a bit over-optimistic I think.

If you have no interest in Star Trek, then obviously avoid it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.