Home Forums The Gaming Room Steampunk

This topic contains 39 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    CK Lai
    Participant

Aaaand… we are back on topic: SMOG is funded! 😀

Some nice SGs were unlocked and looking at some of the 54mm sculpts for the original game, I’m glad we got most of them as 28-32mm minis instead.

The only thing I didn’t like about SMOG was the “pressure” of this campaign. “Pledge @ $120 for the KS-exclusive expansion”. “Get this expansion now as it’s limited at retail, never to be re-published”.

I backed Black Plague at the $100 level as I wasn’t convinced the Wulfsberg expansion would add that much more to the gameplay. But if it did, I’d be able to pick it up later at retail.

Not so for SMOG.

Ugh. The new CMON that’s gone down the GW road of public listing is beginning to rear its head. Rising Sun might be my last CMON Kickstarter if these kind of unsubtle pressures keep up. 🙁

Thoughts?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I suspect, now they’ve gone public, we’ll see more of that kind of thing in the future. To me, the best Kickstarter I ever backed was Wrath of Kings; that was amazing value. But I don’t think that kind of deal will happen again.

Still, I’m pretty happy to finally be able to get my hands on those SMOG designs in the scale they should have been made in originally. I should be getting my copy of the Smog 13th Hour game soon, that will be interesting to try out. But I’m seriously thinking of trying my hand at coming up with my own tabletop skirmish rules for them – maybe a variation of the Rise of Moloch rules, to keep things simple.

I just love the theme (possibly, in addition to my interest in Victoriana, because it reminds me of the old Charisma record label I often stared at as a child listening to Gabriel-era Genesis records):

Charisma label

Image from cvinyl.com

8th
    Participant

There was too much ‘buy me now as I’ll be stupid expensive on eBay’ pressure. People were grumbling about the kingdom death figure being restricted to 2 per pledge. Obviously they’d be on eBay for stupid money.

Rising Sun doesn’t interest me. Not had chance to play Blood Rage and Oriental setting doesn’t appeal.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I’m afraid I’ll be a sucker for Rising Sun. I love the oriental theme.

Must – get – painting!

8th
    Participant

Greek myths is my weakness…. I love their passion and chaotic nature…. Its why I backed Mythic Battles: Pantheon.

Rising Sun bit weird for cmon… No “:” in the title like so many of their games lately.

Oriental society seems to rigid with rules and honour… Yet hypocritical with ronin and less honourable types.

CK Lai
    Participant

“Oriental society seems to rigid with rules and honour… Yet hypocritical with ronin and less honourable types.”

Ronin are totally within the Japanese code of honour. They failed their master, thus lost their honour. Hence they are known as the masterless ones. All will look down on them.

“Less honourable types” : all societies have them, honourable or dishonourable.

8th
    Participant

Sorry if I offended CK, that was not my intention.

I’m thinking games I have played seemed like that. Occidental society is full of dishonourable types. We call them politicians.

CK Lai
    Participant

@8th; LOL. Yes. We oriental types also have those dishonourable people. The politicians 😀

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Just pointing out I used the word ‘oriental’ specifically as a historical one, which is how I think of it. But even then it’s meaningless since it originally meant Nth African areas along the Mediterranean, later India, and only much later Asia. A ridiculously vague word really!

8th
    Participant

As long as we avoid any terms that might be used by Prince Philip I think we’re safe.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I finally received my copy of Smog: The Thirteenth Hour. It’s a cheap little production with cut-out counters, a folded paper map and a small, cheap box, but I now have the set of 88 Action cards so I can play that version of the game. Looking forward to trying it out!

8th
    Participant

Sounds interesting. Do we get an ‘unfolding’ instead of ‘unboxing’?

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.