Home Forums The Gaming Room The Mutant Chronicles CMG by FFG (OOP)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

briscoe999
    Participant

I was checking out the Siege of Citadel reboot by Modiphius on KS; and i ran into finding out about this OOP MC CMG from FFG back in 2008.

Can anybody tell me if this dead game is any good? It looks like it has similar mechanics to Heroscape (Which is a game i really like).

Would this be worth picking up if all i get is the starter box and maybe a few extra packs of figures?
    Some (not all) of the figures that were released can still be obtained on the secondary market – but i dont know if it is worth it.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I have a rather large collection of the these figures, there was something about it that appealed to me at the time, even though the figure designs are kind of goofy and the paintjobs pretty rough. They can be improved though (see pics below).

Unfortunately I’ve only got around to playing it once so I can’t say much about the system, only that it seemed fine. The mechanics are more complex than Heroscape. Check out my summary. Sounds like I was pretty keen about it when I wrote that game page!

MC
    MC

briscoe999
    Participant

WOW UH! Your painting touch-ups really made a difference!! Nice work indeed!

I was just on Modiphius’ KS page contemplating on pledging for the Siege of the Citadel boardgame reboot they are doing. To my dismay, they just recently upped the buy in for both pledges.
    The Doomtrooper pledge went from $69 to about $80; and the Dark Legion pledge went from $149 to $217!!

Being that i missed out on the lower pledge amounts – I guess that makes it pretty easy for me to NOT pledge, and just possibly pick up the game at retail.

PS – this madness of mine was all sparked by seeing your classic copy of Mutant Chronicles: SotC in your unpacking video…. LOL

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Mutant Chronicles is a strange property – it doesn’t seem to go away, and yet it’s always struck me as an IP without a strong visual style or particularly interesting premise, more like a hash of bits and pieces from all over the place.

I must give original Siege of the Citadel a whirl, I’ve never played it. I’m not sure why I backed the new one, I’m not particularly drawn to the figures or anything much about it. We’ll see how it turns out.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Got the base game and liked the System…just the size of the figures is to big for my taste. This in 28/32mm and the figures would have had so much more use to so many more People…with this it went the Inquisition way fast. But the mechanics where Need. Some stuff is still around…not sure if it is enough though to be intresting…base game alone is not for long.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yep, the large size throws into sharp relief the amateutrishness of the figure design. Still, they have toy-like charm.

briscoe999
    Participant

UH – with the new KS reboot, did you pledge the base game only or the bigger Dark Legion pledge?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Dark Legion.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Me too…really hope its good 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hey Soulsorceror, I got this out the other night and we played a couple of games and really enjoyed it. I have some reservations about the force building system – it’s easy which is good, but it puts a (gold, silver or bronze) figure on the same ‘price level’ as a Command card or an order token, which seems a bit strange.

Also the Tournament level of 10/10/10 (10 gold, 10 silver and 10 bronze) would seem to make for an unwieldy game (we played 6/6/6 and it was a good size). As for the Epic level of 90/90/90, that would just be insane.

It’s a straightforward and simple system, but it has surprising and interesting tactical depth. I especially liked the random placement of objectives and the special rules they introduce. Great to rediscover it.

Mutant Chronicles

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.