Home Forums The Gaming Room The new Runewars – Miniatures game

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Oh, and those bases. Itโ€™s Mansions of Madness all over again.

UthorocUthoroc

Hehe, yeah, they’ve really gone rather wild with the “blowing cape” stuff. No question the mini quality does not compare to the likes of Rackham, but the Human hero figure is really the worst of the bunch.

The bases at least make sense here in the game (as opposed to in MoM). And the nice thing is, you can take all the minis off them and reuse them in other games (useful for me in rpg sessions).

Participant

Hey Ralf, love the painting work mate, keep going! I find once you get into a rhythm you can churn through it (but if you’ve painted all of the WOTR figures as I have you know that). My preferred method is to set up the table, get a bottle of red and put a suitable book on Audible, then do production line painting one colour at a time for an hour. When that gets dull I move onto detail on one or two figure types.

Mind you, Peter’s videos on painting (especially the one he did recently for Rum ‘n’ Bones) will give you all the tips anyone needs to get to a standard I find acceptable – as we’ve noticed, getting detail perfect at 2 or 3 times magnification is pointless because when they’re on the table you’re viewing them from at last a foot or two away. Bold contrasts seem to work better than subtlety!

As for playing your old games, love to, but I think if you look around you you’ll actually find plenty of people willing to give it a go. I persuaded half a dozen blokes from my soccer team to play Spartacus on our end-of-season trip last year, and now they can’t get enough of it. Bit of a leap to Runewars tabletop from there, but there’s usually one who’s prepared to give it a go. Best of luck!

Keymaster

I think you mean the video for Conan Will. Go easy on the red! ๐Ÿ™‚

PS Ralf brought me a bottle of Jura when he visited. A man of excellent taste!

UthorocUthoroc

Will, thanks very much for the encouragement. The WotR figures only took me five years to complete. I hope I’ll be a liiittle bit faster with Runewars. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I really shouldn’t be complaining about lack of players. I get to play tons of games (a weekly rpg group, WotR online whenever I like, play testing for Hunt for the Ring, regular boardgame sessions, e.g. Mansions of Madness last weekend). It’s just the miniatures department that gets a little short shrift.

UthorocUthoroc

I’ve been whittling away at the minis. While I haven’t uncorked a bottle of red (though it is tempting), the audio book was a good suggestion, and I’ve been enjoying the Silmarillion while doing the rest of my Reanimates. The first numerous unit is done!
    Reanimates!

UthorocUthoroc

The Undead side of things is done, behold the Reanimate Archers of the Pale Legion:

Reanimate Archers
    Reanimate Archers Unit

I must say I really like the minis for these. Pose and detail are excellent and they don’t suffer from the “blowing cape” syndrom. They were great fun to paint, too.

Here’s my completed Undead starter army.
    The Pale Legion

Next up is the Rune Golem, which also looks like great fun to paint.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Very nice stuff!!! And quite fast too…amazing!

UthorocUthoroc

Thank you! I’m surprising myself how disciplined I am with these. I spent another evening painting yesterday and have the Rune Golem to show for it. I’ve never managed such a large figure in one session before (okay, a few finishing touches were done this morning)!
    A Rune Golem of the Daqan Lords army

Keymaster

Excellent!

AddumAddum
    Participant

Inspirational stuff Uthuroc!!

Your games will be a beautiful thing to behold!!!

UthorocUthoroc

So, here’s probably the worst scult from the box, Kari Wraithstalker, the Daqan hero. As Universalhead said, I should have put here on top of a subway grate – an mighty updraft is the only thing that could have her clothing, cloak and hair billowing this way. Also, the bow looks like the artist looked at an image of an unstrung reflex bow and misunderstood what he saw. Finally, who goes undead hunting with rapier and dagger?

*sighs* Still, she looks okay on the table. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Kari Wraithstalker

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.