Home Forums The Gaming Room The new Runewars – Miniatures game

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

You’ve done an excellent job with what is truly a shit sculpt. I can’t imagine why it ever got approved. And the base!

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Interesting…playing with toy soldiers in a fantasy world full of unlogic things…and all is great…but getting back to realistic arguments when something is not done “the right way” aka “I do not like it”…amazes me.

UthorocUthoroc

The comment about the weapons is really tongue in cheek and a minor irritation (the bow is a pet peeve of mine). It’s not about realism, but how convincing the figure is. Take a look at the Undead hero, Ardus. The antlers on his helmet are absolutely unrealistic and hilarious, but his pose has energy and looks believable, doing a double strike with his axes.

Kari here on the other hand… what is she doing? She’s doing an energetic step forward, but why is she holding out that sword as awkwardly as she does? Why are her clothes billowing as wildly as they do? The pose just doesn’t make much sense in its composition. Do you think she’s a good mini?

Mind, I’m just nitpicking on a figure in a set that I overall like very much – in case I haven’t made that clear enough with all the painting I’ve been doing! 😀

By they way, the sculptor has done a good job in sticking to the concept art:
    Kari concept art

Keymaster

I don’t see the dispute between the two Soulsorceror – quality is quality, it doesn’t matter whether that they’re depicting things that don’t exist, there are good sculpts and bad sculpts. Sure, there’s a matter of personal taste, but like all things an opinion can also informed by experience and knowledge of the medium. It’s the same as with all art.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

I do not think that this is a great mini…but sorry UH…”with what is truly a shit sculpt. I can’t imagine why it ever got approved” is a bit to much for me…it sound just disrespektfull…and maybe its just me not wanting to have such “extrems” in my hobbytime…real world is much to much on the extreme side for my taste to have something like this in my personal retreat space….if that makes sense to you. No offence…but not my cup of tea to be this kinda negative. I want my hobby to be positive.

Keymaster

Perhaps I should clarify myself a bit better – my opinions are entirely my own. 🙂

We’re almost always positive around here Soulsorceror, and I too would like to keep it that way. But also, I don’t want to dissuade anyone from having passionate opinions, as long as they can back them up with good reasoning.

Otherwise we get that kind of wishy-washy ‘everything is wonderful’ discourse that personally, I find dull, uninteresting, and unproductive. I used to comment on Tabletop News until any kind of (what they called) negativity there was pretty much banned, and the site turned from a fun place to visit full of interesting characters to a dull site with hardly any discussion at all.

I must say though, I certainly don’t feel the need to accord any game publisher my respect unless they earn it. If we all take what we’re given without any passionate feedback (for example, what’s with the giant FFG boxes these days? The new one for Android Netrunner’s Terminal Directive is taking packaging air to a new level!) the industry will go downhill, fast.

That said, I will always put an immediate stop to any kind of personal insults or unnecessary argumentiveness. We want passionate, interesting, informed conversation, not abuse of any kind.

One last thing – sorry if I offended you with the use of the word shit. I’m an Australian, and, speaking extremely generally, Australians tend to use swear words pretty lightly to emphasise what we’re saying. 🙂

Participant

Please forgive the mild swearing…

I think the problem lies in the definition of the word ‘shit’. I’ll skip the obvious dictionary definition as I’m sure we all know the meaning of it.

I’m English and to me ‘shit’ just means crappy, or disappointing, but in other cultures it seems to be a more severe criticism..

However, the addition of the word ‘utterly’ takes it to new level of crappiness 🙂

Whereas ‘a bit shit’ is much milder.

Basically… language is a variable, not a constant!

Keymaster

You’re correct. The sculpt is quite shit. A bit more than a bit, but admittedly, less than utterly. 🙂

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Ah well then…another lesson for a non-nativ english speaker….and a bit of the usual “reading only” drawback….no voice and gestures to go along. I will try to remember the fine differences in beeing “shit” in the future 😉

And yes..it is a positive place around here…the reason I do actually take part in…I don´t do that much.
    And I too find it very important to have passionate opinions you can back up with good reasoning. But I also believe that arguments should be held in a respectfull way….a thing that is very often not the case…especialy on the internet.
    And that was the kind of respect I was talking about…not for what they do with ther products ect…more in the way we should treat each other. Not sure if I express that right in english…but hope its understandable.

UthorocUthoroc

Glad everybody is getting along so nicely, despite differences in language. I’ve got more models of debatable quality to show, so beware the Australians! 😉

Here’s the first couple of the Oathsworn Cavalry. I really like the horses of these models very much! They are pretty realistically sculpted, have nice muscle articulation and actually look like they could carry a guy in armor. Unfortunately the guys they are carrying look like they are trying to balance on top of the horse by sticking out their arms to both sides. 😉
    Oathsworn Cavalry
    Also, freehand painting is not my strong suit and I’m not buying any extra decals just for these guys, so they have to do with a fairly simple shield design.

Btw, you’ll find larger versions of the images on my Google album.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

Soooo..on the topic of the sculpt beeing shit…what makes it so in your eyes. I have a bit of a problem with the quality part…besides the actual material…what makes a quality sculpt…and what does not. I have no art backround what so ever.

For me…this one has a rare pose…quite dynamic…which is a plus in my book. I imagine her standing on top of a small rock…looking down on the battlefield…wind blowing….or without the base…standing in front of a huge beast getting its foul smelling roar right into her face. Might not be the most generic pose…but what makes it shit?

And also…this is a fantasy world…so with magic and strange races ect. I find it difficult to take arguments about “realistic” as valid. It might be magic that swirles unnatural around here….or she is not a standard human…so the physic is a bit different…and so on.

Lastly…what if the sculptor just took a bit of artistic freedome to make it more dynamic…and less realistic in regards of the wind blowing into the clothes for example? When is it good…when bad?

And to come around to my starting comment. I find that most often…if someone does not like a sculpt…its “backed” with “this or that beeing unrealistic” reasons..and those same reasons are overlooked if the sculpt is liked.
    I do not have a problem with “I do not like it”…but with “reasons” that are no reasons more often than not.

Sorry…quite long…but hopfully understandable what I want to express.

SoulsorcererSoulsorcerer
    Participant

@Uthoroc Wow…you churn those minis out like crazy 🙂 Is that the only pose? Had hope that only the infantery had those doubles…not a fan of those 🙁 Did you flock the bases a bit…or is that all sculpted on?

Oh…and a more play related question…how well do those interlocking bases go together…and more importantly do you get them off without getting half the table in uproar?

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.