Home Forums The Gaming Room The Perfect Game…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

Recent chats and comments on the EOG made me consider what makes the perfect game and more importantly…. why it doesn’t exist!

There’s always something wrong… the miniatures are poor, the story is weak, rules too complex (or too simple), playing time is too long… etc.

Often it’s more than one factor that ruins a game, or at least makes it less than perfect.

So what makes the perfect game?

If you could combines the best features of several games to make perfection… what would that game be like?

And the even more important question… can we at the EOG figure out how to do this and home-brew our way to the perfect game.

Might end up splitting this topic into Perfect Tabletop Miniatures Game, Perfect Board Game and Perfect RPG, but for now lets just get some ideas on the table…

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Don´t think that there will ever be “the perfect game”. For everyone “perfect” is something very different. What one finds to be perfect another one does not like at all..be it Rules,Fluff,Art ect.

So…what does it take to be a huge hit? I think you have to be in the sweet spot that is something that is close enough for a large audience…so they are willing to overlook ist “flaws”. And even that could be influenced by the current market. A game that is clearly not perfect…but has something that was not available for a long time…or the first time ever…peolpe are a lot more tollerent to the flaws (say like Frostgrave). The next release needs to be much better to be an equal hit because tollerence is much lower…and so on.

Not sure I used the right words to describe it…but did my best…hope you understand what I tried to say 🙂

8th
    Participant

For tabletop miniatures I have warmachine/hordes and like the miniatures and setting fluff. However, I find the ‘kill the warcaster’ scenarios to be a bit tedious. It needs more story missions and although I can make my own, balancing armies with superior goals can be tricky.

Also have Frostgrave which does have scenarios, but yet to get chance to play it. I plan on recycling warmachine/hordes figure for that.

Back to Iron Kingdoms and the RPG has loads of fluff to make it interesting, but the war game dice mechanics don’t work for an RPG, as 2d6 is wrong for pc skills, things are impossible, or too easy.

As for boardgames… play time is crucial to me, so I feel a 90-120 minute duration is important, with a short set up if possible (<15 minutes).

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I have my perfect game: War of the Ring. 😉

8th
    Participant

WotR exceeds my 2hr play time and has large set up. I have it but only had chance to play once for those reasons.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

This is why I was so excited back when AT-43 came out. The background was interesting (though poorly translated), the minis pre-painted well enough for me to get it on the table right away, the system relatively straightforward, but most of all it had a ‘feel’ that I liked. This was hugely reinforced by the expansion Operation Frostbite, which had a format I’m still amazed more companies haven’t copied: a self-contained campaign series of tabletop scenarios, with some tiles, a few minis, and a bit of terrain.

Even when I’m playing a tabletop miniatures game, I want a feeling of story and atmosphere behind it, not just two armies going head to head. This is one thing I don’t like about WoK, and I fear Runewars might have the same problem; you need a reason to fight!

As for boardgames, well there are so many different types. I think the search for the perfect game is part of why we all keep collecting games – it’s the promise of the perfect game, the potential when you open the box –will this be the one that captures that elusive magic? – rather than the inevitably slightly disappointing play of the game itself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.