Home Forums The Kitchen The Unjoy of Not Unboxing

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  8th 1 year ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

8th
    Participant

It’s 19 months late, but Infinity RPG has arrived.

It’s sitting there being not unboxed.

Lost my enthusiasm for the game during the far too long wait for the game, for which blame the OCD corvis bellend who were really slow with approvals.

It’s an RPG of a miniatures game (and from what I hear, not a great miniatures game) with a completely different rule system, making the two incompatible.

So I don’t see what the big deal is with approvals.

When you’re playing a miniatures game it’s getting the rules right (or not as is often the case) that is important, not the name of the planet/city/forest where you’re fighting.

I understand that approvals matter with things like Lord of the Rings or the Marvel Universe, but for a simple skirmish game it seems pointless.

Anyway… my rant over for now.

I’ll just go back to not unboxing. Think I’ll have a cup of tea instead.

CK Lai
    Participant

Infinity is a fun tabletop minis game. But maybe the fact I had an experienced guy coaching 2 of us newbies helped my favourable impression.

YMMV. πŸ˜‰

BTW, I know Modiphus is blaming Corvus Belli… but they are late for EVERY KS they are currently running!

I’m still waiting for my Conan RPG that was supposed to be delivered in Nov 2016. It’s now been pushed to Wave 3 at some unspecified date in 2018.

Siege of the Citadel was supposed to deliver Oct 2017. They’re still in pre-production.

And these are the 2 that I actually backed. Who knows what’s the progress of their other projects?

8th
    Participant

I know about Modiphius being late. I backed Thunderbirds (which I don’t recall being late), Conan and Infinity.

Had Conan a few months ago. I tend to only add stuff to pledge manager that’s Wave 1, so I don’t have to split shipping, or wait for later waves.

Luckily, I hate Modiphius adventure writing. I know boxed text is old school, but it is easier to find essential plot elements. With Modiphius adventures the text is all there, but the concept of bold, or italics to highlight important details is lost on them.

Achtung Cthulhu was late as I recall. Dust Adventures (not a KS) was also late.

I Dropped out of Siege of the Citadel (it was a good deal, lots of stuff, but I’m swamped with that sort of game and tired of being the 1 in one vs many).

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

I am very relaxed regarding KS…I do not care when it arrives! Its all fun and games…nothing REALLY importent! As long as the result is a good product I am happy. I always state that they should take their time. A rushed product that is not good can not be taken back and is a wasted oppertunity…a late product that is good is always better imho!

So I am an Infinity RPG backer at the all printed level…and if they got it right I do not care if I had to wait at all. Lots of other stuff kept me busy meanwhile. Oh…and I backed Conan and Siege of the Citadel too πŸ™‚

Infinity the minitaure game is a great game…but not casual. It is also very succsessfull and has its roots in roleplaying. Yep…Infinity startet out as a homemade roleplaying game which they turned into the minis game we know today. So CB is really protectiv in branching out their IP into that area…and the founder is known to be a perfectionist. So to get to play in the Infinity universe with a perfectionist homemade rpg…that was meant to go slooooooow πŸ™‚ I do believe that approval was a big part…but not the only one. Any company I encountered dealing with a license for the first time understimates the timeframe greatly πŸ™‚ But modiphious makes great products…so the wait is normaly worth it. Just got my Star Trek RPG stuff and it looks great.

That the RPG and the minis game are incompatible is a good thing…the minis combat is waaaay to complex for an RPG. Here the most importent is backround…and loooots of it!!! And that is the reason why it took so long…CB is ironing out a looot of Backround that is “canon” and did not exist in the minis game. The “fluff” part there was nothing compared to the massiv pages you will get with the rpg!!! And the system has to flow easely for the roleplay to not be slowed down by rules. I think the 2D20 system does that…its simple at its core and very flexible.

So in short….if you like the universe Infinity takes place…open it…I doubt you will be dissapointed πŸ™‚

And I am looking forward getting mine soon…

8th
    Participant

Perfectionist is not good thing. It’s a mental disorder and impossible to achieve.

Personally not interested in the setting. I wanted an SF game and liked the 2d20 rules system.

Character generation will get butchered by me. Far too random and tied to the setting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.