Home Forums The Smoking Room Thoughts on "small" versions of existing games?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    YellowSign
    YellowSign
    Participant

Several years ago I stumbled across a game called “Dune Express”. I was intrigued because of the small table footprint, the fact that i’d probably never get the chance to corral enough friends together to play the actual Dune game, and I thought it had a kind of cool-if-novelty look to the art.

Having transitioned quite a bit into solo games, I recently ordered a copy of TinyFormingMars. I could purchase TerraForming in my LGS with a solo mechanic, but again the smaller version appeals to me at the moment when time and room are at a premium.

Curious what everyone else’s thoughts are on these types of the games? Are they squirming around copyright infringement, A legit homage to beloved game systems they are trying to parse down, or (as I assume) a bit of a Grey area in between?

I’m interested these types of games are still allowed to exist on BGG at all frankly.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Interesting. There’s a long standing rule that you can’t copyright game mechanics, but these seem to go beyond that. Then again, there’s a game like Dark Moon, which started off as a quick version of Battlestar Galactica and ended up being completely its own thing.

But yes, I think you’re squirming around copyright infringement if you make something available publically that uses someone’s licence (eg Dune), and certainly if you sell it in any way. They don’t get busted only because they fly under the radar, I imagine.

But in the internet age, we all squirm occasionally. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.