Home Forums The Workshop Painted figures for Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by MarcellusWallace MarcellusWallace 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Finally got back to a project I’d started late last year, and managed to finish it up to satisfaction.

Valyndra
    Valyndra
    Valyndra
    Valyndra

Also, after getting the juices flowing again on the dragon, I managed to get another hero figure painted for my currently running campaign. Elder Mok, the goblin apothecary. Admittedly, the free hand brush work on the drum heads could use a little more work, but I’ve never done that sort of thing before, and I’m happy with it for “first timer” results.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

That is stunning work Wonderslug. The drum head patterns look fantastic. Great colours too. Nice one!

Tangram11
    Tangram11
    Participant

That is great work.

These posts, and MW’s “Shadows of Brimstone painted Tentacles and first painted mini” posts are inspiring and really encourage me to pick up the brush.

Similarly, Sorastro’s Star Wars video guides are also excellent – thanks for those posts UH.

I often don’t get time to post, but I do follow the forums via RSS feeds, and it is great to see and read about what everyone is working on.

Cheers.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Great to hear. I really enjoy the little community we’re building up here, we seem to have attracted some good people. We’ll no doubt look back upon this one day as The First Golden Age of the EOG. 🙂

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Fantastic work most wondrous of all the slugs!
    I especially like the drum of the goblin and the wings of valyndra. How did you do those? Did you do anything special apart from washing to get all those scars and skinfolds?

And i, too, enjoy the small community here. I don’t get to post too much, but when i do, i’d like to post as much as i can. Very encouraging to see all the work being done by everyone here.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Thanks, Marcellus.

The drum was quite simple. I did a base coat of Vallejo Game Color Bone White, and washed with Citadel Reikland Fleshshade. Then highlights on the highest points until I was satisfied.

The dragon wings….Oh god, those damn dragon wings. Those are the result of many many “experimental” attempts at different things, because I just couldn’t be happy with them. They actually started out red like the rest of the dragon, but I decided I wanted them to look more leathery, so I went back over them with (I think) various layers of Khaki, working up with increased amounts of ivory to the mix. Then finished it with a diluted red glaze.

…and this community rocks. 🙂

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Finished my Changeling monster group this week. Here is one of them next to the reference art. Not crazy about the sculpt at all, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

My Painted Changeling

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yeah, that’s a pretty poor implementation of the concept art. Nice painting though!

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

The Shadow of Nerekhall expansion, where this gentleman comes from, is pretty notorious in the Descent community for having pretty cruddy miniatures all-around, when compared to the line as a whole. The heroes, in particular, are atrocious.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Jeez, that’s pretty unacceptable at this stage of the line.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

You painted that changeling to look disgusting and frightening nonetheless.

Thanks for the insight, i still have to get into the whole glazing stuff.

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Finished this one last night. Lots of small detail work here. Really nice figure to work with.

Leoric of the Book

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.