Home Forums The Workshop Video Request: Green Stuff

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by MarcellusWallace MarcellusWallace 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

Hi Peter!

I’d like to kindly request a short (but thorough) video tutorial on using “Green Stuff” to fill gaps in figures. You’ve done videos for basing, painting, and even storage, so I think a quick tip for green stuff would really make your site an catch all for gaming minis.

I had my first experience with the stuff recently, and well…I guess I need some practice / guidance.

I appreciate any time you’re willing to put into this subject, and if a video isn’t deemed desirable, maybe you could offer some newbie tips for the “stuff.”

Thanks!

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

That of course would be a great idea. Or maybe even some sculpting tips, depending how much our Head is is into it.

Until then you can watch one of the first “Preparing Deadzone” videos (i think?). In the preparation of the minis, he covers greenstuff filling of the gaps, too.

Also, as i’ve had my first experiences with greenstuff now, i can share some of the lessons i learned (partly also covered and learned from videos here or elsewhere). I did a lot of gap filling for the brimstone swamps figures (which are done since last saturday, yay!) and also some sculpting for the base of the Harbinger.
    Since i like all crafty/creative/designing things i actually started by just sculpting some things for fun and get a feel for the stuff.

1. You can actually control the hardness and how fast it dries by adjusting the amounts of yellow/blue. I never tried that though, just used the standard amount.

2. Most importantly use water or something similar to wet your fingertips and sculpting tools, otherwise it will be too sticky. Don’t wet the miniature though as that makes it harder to get the greenstuff to the spot you want it (not very much fun if you spreaded it all across the gap and it kind of floats around).

3. Right after being put together the greenstuff can be VERY sticky and hard to work with sometimes. But after 5-10 minutes of waiting/working i always found it much nicer and easier to do what i wanted. If you just want to quickly fill a small gap you don’t really have to worry about that.

4. To get larger flat surfaces you will probably need some kind of “spoon” sculpting tool. Use some water and smoothen it.

5. When i wanted to fill gap after gap, i found it practical to make a big sausage, put it on some plastic and when i need a gap filled, i’d cut of a piece of it to create the small sausage. That let me control the amount better than ripping it apart with my fingers.

6. Practise is the only way to really learn how to work with it. I still have to learn a lot.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

My sculpting skills are truly limited, but it did cross my mind to do a video about green stuff. MW’s tip about water is crucial (as is the note about practice). Also I just got some new tools which I want to try out and if they’re useful I can include their use in the video.

On the list of things to do!

Jack Romeo
    Jack Romeo
    Participant

Making a quick note on liquid green stuff would be nice as well. I tried using that for my Brimstone miniatures but it never quite worked as I wanted.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

I got myself a toolset by army painter (includes 3 tools with 6 different ends) and we also had an old sculping knife lying around somewhere in the depths which i mostly used.

I don’t have any experience with liquid greenstuff but from what i’ve heard and read you have to apply it in several layers to get a good result.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.