Home Forums The Gaming Room War of the Ring – Fangorn

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Uthoroc Uthoroc 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Hey Ralf, Will and I tried Fangorn today and couldn’t seem to connect, despite both attemting to host and type in the other’s IP address. Is there some arcane trick to this part of the procedure?

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Yes, there are a few tricks.

First off, if you are behind routers and use direct connection, you need to set up port forwarding for the ports used. It is difficult to give instructions on how to do this, because it depends very much on what router you use. Here’s a – probably way too complicated – article on the topic. In short, you need to make sure that incoming connections on port 4747 are forwarded to the local IP of your gaming computer.

Second, make sure that the WotR client is allowed through your Windows Firewall.

Third as an alternative – this is the easiest option to set up and most people use it – both of you can install LogMeIn Hamachi. This allows you to create a virtual private network which you can use to connect. The client does detect Hamachi and will even list the associated IP addresses in the chat window on startup if Hamachi is running.

I’d be happy to help out with setting this up if either of you wants to connect with me on Skype.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Will’s on a PC and I’m on a Mac – is that an issue? And I presume Hamachi doesn’t work on a Mac.

Yep, that port forwarding article certainly does look complicated!

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Normally connecting from Mac to PC is fine – if there were problems with the client on the Mac, it was usually with running the correct Java version.

Hamachi IS available for the Mac.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Got better luck with Hamachi? I’d be interested to hear whether you got it working on the PC/Mac connection.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Haven’t had a chance to have another try yet. I’d prefer to try and get it working without installing more unusual software on my Mac.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

If either of you wants to test the connection to a working setup (to perhaps narrow down problem areas), shoot me a message and I’ll setup a “listening” client here.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Sure, I’ll try now. Can we communicate privately somehow? I assume I’ll need your IP address?

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Are you on Skype or Google Hangouts? You’ll find me on Skype under Ralf Schemmann.

I’ve sent an email with the IP address.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.