Home Forums The Workshop War of the Ring Project

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Scorcher505 Scorcher505 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scorcher505
    Scorcher505
    Participant

SO as I mentioned in my introduction, I am working on a massive project to customize my copy of War of the Ring. I figured I would start by posting what my end goal is. I am going to paint all of the mini’s, replace most of the cardboard chits that make sense to replace, and create a custom storage box similar to the Collector’s Edition box. So far in my journey, I have painted about 25-30% of the minis: All Rohan regulars, All Dwarves (regular, elite, leader), all elf regular and elites, some Mordor orks, some Uruks, Boromir, and all the expansion models.

Replacement chit wise, I have replaced the fellowship location chit with a golden ring with the writing on it, and the corruption marker with a black ring with the writing on it. To indicate a revealed fellowship, I am using a glass eye that looks similar to the Eye of Sauron.

Custom model wise, a man whose name is Fubar Awol on BGG sells models of the strongholds in the game, as well as custom Mt. Doom tracks to add a little bit of flair to the game. The only ones I have right now are the two towers and the Mt. Doom track, but maybe will order more in the future.

As for what is yet to come, a custom wood carved box, lined with felt, with the cover having the original artwork for the orignal copy of Fellowship of the Ring, and a fancy boarder. I also am thinking about getting rings that look like the elven rings to replace those chits.

If anyone has anything they could suggest that would be great. Encouragement also welcome, especially if I start to stagnate. Without further delay, here is a sample photo set. Bad lighting, sorry, but more to come

This certainly is going to be a passion project. The fact you’re incorporating models of the buildings and even swapping out the tokens…it’s going to become the epitome of game ‘pimpage’.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Most impressive indeed. I’ve seen a board where all the main sites have 3D buildings and it seems too crowded to me – board space is limited as it is, especially with the normal board (I find one of the great advantages of the CE is the larger board) – but I have had my eye on that custom 3D Mt Doom for a while, it does add that real drama to the Fellowship endgame. Maybe the towers would be worth getting too. I love the rings and the glass eye.

Great work on the figure painting. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with the box!

Scorcher505
    Scorcher505
    Participant

I ordered elven rings today to replace the cardboard chits. They are modeled after the ones from the movies, and not like the pictures on the chits per say, but close enough that they will work great. Will add those pics when we get there. Started another batch of Uruks, and the Witch King on foot today as well. Trying to free hand some hand prints on the Uruks, look pretty good.

brianparker
    brianparker
    Participant

Seeing the photo, everything looks great however the rings… The rings, precious, hmmmmmm. They look rather good.

Scorcher505
    Scorcher505
    Participant

After many months, the box to my project is completed, and here are the pictures

War of the Ring box

The box is larger than the collector’s edition box, and heavy enough I could probably kill an intruder in my house with it in a pinch, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out. The box is maple ply wood, lined with felt inside. The cover is stained to look like a leather bound book. All the images were made with hand cut stencils, except the writing on the ring, which I had professionally laser cut. To create the pages, I used modeling paste that I scuffed up with a straight edge to look like a stack of pages. When they dried, I used a yellowish wash followed by a brown drybrush to make the pages look old.

From here, I am working on getting the rulebook bound into a hard cover book, while changing the cover art and adding in more Lord of the Rings artwork from John Howe and others. When I have that I will post pictures of that as well.

My previous album post also now includes photos of the elven rings I purchased to replace the cardboard chits, and some of my newly painted models can be seen from a distance on the board as well. Let me know what you think.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Unbelievable! Only a game like WotR can inspire such devotion. 🙂

razide
    Participant

Congratulations on completing your game box. It is super impressive.
    Are you intending to put component partitions inside it too ?

Nice work on the figures too.

Scorcher505
    Scorcher505
    Participant

I have foam trays similar to those for Warhammer 40k for the models. When they are all painted I will be basing them so I want them kept as safe as possible. Everything I have currently barely fits in the box, gonna have to use my brain a bit when the new expansion releases to make it all fit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.