Home Forums The Gaming Room Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Kent
    Participant

What are everyones thoughts on the upcoming Warhammer Quest release? I have been following it closely and think I might pull the trigger on getting it. I’ve been able to resist all the other standalone releases from Games Workshop in the last year but Warhammer Quest just looks too cool. In the US I believe it is running ~150$ for the box. Price does not seem that bad when you look at the components, especially the 51 minis. I’m a bit worn out on the dungeon crawler genre but the minis look to good to pass up on.

Kent
    Kent
    Participant

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22676264#22676264 Here’s a short description of the game play

8th
    Participant

Not had a look at the gameplay.

The detail on the miniatures looks good to me, but that an awful lot of gluing and painting, of which I’ve done plenty recently.

13 tiles seems somewhat limited and £95 is steep compared to Undercity (which I own). Admittedly, the miniatures in Undercity are soft plastic and lack the detail of the GW game.

But I’m dungeoned up with pending Kickstarters and existing games in my collection, the fantasy genre in particular.

Plus it’s age of Sigmar, which replaced the Old World that I liked, so feels like I should boycott it 🙂

briscoe999
    Participant

The original Warhammer Quest has always been an unobtainable “Grail” game that i knew i would most likely never be able to own.

Of course, my initial reaction was very, very, very positive after first hearing of this new version about to be released by GW.

But I am going to try to take a cautious approach and watch as many demos/playthoughs as i can before making a final informed decision. I already know that this new version is NOT an exact clone of the original WQ (whether that is a good thing or bad thing is of course up for debate).

Also, I know i am probably in the minority with this issue – but i really wish the minis would have been more of the snap-in version like Space Hulk 4th Edition (which I own) and not minis that will require alot of glueing (I read that some of the more detailed minis in WQ:ST have like 6 separate pieces!!)
    I know the way GW did these minis allows for amazing excellent detail, but I would rather sacrifice some of that detail for much easier assembly.

Nevertheless, I will be watching this one with a very close eye in the coming weeks!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I wish I was more excited about this but, well, it’s ANOTHER CO-OP DUNGEONCRAWLER! This genre is so exhausted it’s gasping its last. The figures are fine, but I just can’t see anything here that will bring anything worth having to the genre. And they’ve definitely gone cheap on number of the tiles.

As for store exclusives like ‘holo’ cards, buttons and art cards, give me a frickin’ break. What crap.

I’m beginning to think, sadly, the boardgame industry is starting to eat itself. It’s all about recycling IP names and regurgitating mechanics with a fresh coat of glossy paint but less in the box and more on the pricetag. Is this Warhammer Quest? Of course not, it’s a dungeoncrawler with different mechanics. But that doesn’t matter anyway because Warhammer Quest has long been superseded by other games anyway. This is just trading on nostalgia.

Do something NEW. Challenge the paradigms. Amaze us!

Kent
    Kent
    Participant

I think the only way to show support for more innovation in the gaming industry is to support indie developers. As it was for many years in video games the big publishers put out the same game with different skins/textures at the full price year after year. People turned to supporting indie developers and over the last 6-8 years there have been some massive indie successes based around very new and unique mechanics.

The risk with supporting the little guys is that it almost always requires doing kickstarter/indiegogo and the truth is when I see a small or new studio on those sites I instantly think the project will either be many months late or completely flop. Unlike video games, board game development actual requires some capital investment to get things printed and molded. Compare that to video games where someone like Notch can develop Minecraft completely on his own and release the game without needing anything other than his PC.

I fear we are in for a long drought in board game innovation.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

You’re right Kent, and while we’re all attracted by the shinies like lots of figures (I guess the analogy in video games is AAA graphics) it’ll be hard for indies to compete effectively. They’ll probably be more of all this copying until people are utterly sick of it and an indie dev has a huge hit with something completely different.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.