Home Forums The Gaming Room Warquest game on Kickstarter

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  briscoe999 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

briscoe999
    Participant

WarQuest is a new game on Kickstarter by Glen Drover (the designer of Eagle Games Conquest of the Empire as well as other Eagle games).

From what I can see so far, the game looks pretty impressive. Aside from the mini’s (which of course are cool) – the gameplay seems quite good, but not overly complex. I especially like the mechanic of the battles with the front (infantry) and rear (missile) ranks along with the Warlord leader in the back that can rally troops back to lines that get routed.

I already ponied up alot of $$ for Conan and Blood Rage, and I vowed that i would “cool it” for awhile; but this game seems to be calling me as it seems to have a proven team individuals behind it! I swear I really hate Kickstarter at times!!!

8th
    Participant

Know what you mean. I’m watching it too. Problem is,the really cool minis are addons [dwarf bear riders 🙂 ] and that pushes the price right up.

I bought Bloodrage and waiting for Conan pledge manager as its possible to late join.

Posthuman looks interesting and so does Orcs Must Die!

Only been with kickstarter a month and already cost me a few hundred…

Universal Head
    Keymaster

It looks fine, but I’m just not seeing enough difference there for it to earn a place on my shelf. I have several ‘dudes on a map’ fantasy boardgames and the miniatures aren’t that impressive, there’s nothing new about the style of fantasy at all (even dwarves on bears was done by 1st edition BattleLore), and the graphic design is not of a standard high enough to impress me (while I usually love Ralph Horsley’s illustrations, his work looks a little rushed here, the logo is all Photoshop bevels, and the map looks like the kind of thing I would have made in high school).

I know I’m completely biased because I’m a professional graphic designer, but I don’t even consider those Kickstarters that look as though the graphic design was done by well-meaning amateurs. Thankfully that saves me a lot of money. 🙂

8th
    Participant

Didn’t know bear riders were so common, but then I don’t own battlelore. Tried the app of that and hated it. Refunded.

But i suppose it explains why Beorn has such a strong dislike for dwarves.

I’m not a graphic designer, but do reject games that look (in my opinion) amateurish.

However, there’s a game designer lurking in anyone who plays a game, so I have some tolerance for artistic flaws if the content seems good.

briscoe999
    Participant

I know they did not release the rule book as of yet – but i kind of like the idea that you as a Warlord can recruit monsters/demi-humans from all races to work together as a “rag-tag” unit. With each race having strengths and weaknesses, i am sure that will create alot of variety during gameplay.

I also think the Quest and Conquest cards add decent depth to the game.

Mind you, i have not backed this game….yet – as i still want to see more videos on it, read the rulebook, etc. Also – at this point the stretch goals do not seem overly tantalizing (and the funding at this point early on is not growing exponentially like Blood Rage and Conan did – which both of those games gave some seriously good stretch goals by the end of their KS).

I will be keeping an eye on this one….

8th
    Participant

I will watch out of curiosity, but think I will resist. Basic set is expensive and I know if I pledge, I would have to pledge high.

Bloodrage is a bargain in comparison and Conan has a lot more stuff in the base game.

As you mentioned, funding is going slowly and its the stretch goals that make it more tempting to pledge than wait for retail!

briscoe999
    Participant

Well, I see the designer has cancelled the KS…..temporarily. He says he hopes to relaunch it in a month or so implementing changes to the way they initially marketed the KickStarter.

The $275 price tag to go “all in” I think was too high, so lets hope there is some pricing adjustments with the relaunch.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Yep, I’m afraid that would be the nail in the coffin if I had been considering it.

8th
    Participant

Those elite and extra army addons should have been stretch goals. If they make it so in the relaunch I may be interested.

8th
    Participant

Warquest is back up on kickstarter, but still too expensive for my liking. Starts at $120 for base game and goes up to $260 for the extra armies.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ouch!

briscoe999
    Participant

Yeah, I will be watching it – but something seems to be telling me not to go in on this one. I think the price is high, but then again i spent $312 on Conan with add-ons??? So who am i kidding? LOL

I did like the initial videos I have seen – but most of them are fragmented and do not necessarily give one a good idea of what the whole game experience would be like.

I really hope they do a good thorough gameplay video during the KS so i can really see if this one is worth it. As of now I think i am out…..but that may change!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.