Home Forums The Gaming Room What games are you particularly enjoying?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dustin Dustin 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

There aren’t many games out there that have got me excited lately, so my purchasing has fallen off somewhat – which is probably a very good thing! But what games are you playing lately, or are excited about getting? I’d love to know if there’s something good I’m missing out on.

YellowSign
    YellowSign
    Participant

I’m really excited for the 2nd edition of “Deep Space D-6” to ship. Two other great/light solo games I enjoy are “Escape the Dark Castle” and “Desolate”.

Giant Killer Robots has some of the most clever solo mechanics i’ve come across, and looks fantastic on the table.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Wow, that must be good, it was an incredibly successful Kickstarter campaign. I’m not a huge fan of solo gaming (never have the time) but I must admit I’ve had my eye on Nemo’s War for a while now. I’ll definitely check out the other ones you mention too.

Do you mean GKR: Heavy Hitters played solo?

YellowSign
    YellowSign
    Participant

Yes. it has a kind of algorithm for enemy movement. If the robot can’t go to A by obstruction, it then goes to B, etc.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

@YellowSign To be honest…never heard of any of them 🙂

@UH I have spent too much money on way too many games the last couple of years that I had no time to play…so the money/time/space problem has me in its claws big time…and its quite frustrating. I wait for 12 KS projects to arrive and 2 to finish. So I stay away from KS (eyeing “Machina Arcana”…but resisting atm) and try to not spend money on new stuff. I am keeping up with a couple of RPG´s and focusing on Star Wars Legion (with Arkham Horror TCG the only game atm that I play regular) and adding scenery to it and the “Fallout Wasteland Warfare” TT-minis game from Mödiphius. It is working fine for me atm and even if resisting to buy that cool looking game is hard from time to time…it feels more satisfying to focus on the ones I already have.

And to say at least something useful to your question…maybe the BGG list for the upcoming new releases for Spiel 2018 in Essen in 4 weeks will help you out 😉

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I understand completely Soulsorcerer, I’m certainly giving Kickstarters a rest – though really there hasn’t been too much lately that’s tempted me, which helps.

Let us know how you go with the Fallout miniatures game, I’m curious if it’s any good. I like me a bit of the ol’ post-apocalypse!

actmoon
    Participant

I agree that Kickstarter has been lackluster lately. Nothing really catching my attention either.

On another note I have recently been playing good old Battlestar Galactica the board game, with the “ultra short variant” from bgg. It works really well and cuts down the playtime to about 2 hours.

I hope BSG will be reprinted in some form someday, as there really isn’t anything else quite like it. (I don’t really like Dark Moon)

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I would love to play BG more often. I have all the expansions, but I’ve only ever played half a game! I must check out that short variant – do you happen to have a link?

I rather like Dark Moon, I love the 80s vibe and the game seems to work really well. Looking forward to trying out the expansion. Why didn’t you like it actmoon?

actmoon
    Participant

Sure thing. Here’s the link to the variant for BSG. Ultra short variant for BSG (3 jumps)

I owned dark moon for a bit but eventually traded it away. I think I felt that the dice roll submission system introduces more randomness than I would like, and limited the player agency. Also there’s nothing quite the same for BSG sleeper phase as well.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thanks for that! I hear you about the randomness in DM, though I quite like that because it introduces the concept that sometimes you have to put in a bad dice, and people aren’t sure if it’s because you are a traitor or you just had a bad roll. But I can certainly understand if some players wouldn’t like that.

I must play some more BG.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

BSG is a great game…problem with my old group was that the traitor system did not go well with them…so it saw no play time.
    Its a shame…I like it a lot and the series both old and new are great!

I still have to wait quite a bit for my resin starter set of Fallout Wasteland Warfare. And besides having a great IP going…the combining of Solo,co-op and vs. play in one looks like a great idea. If you want a quick look I recommend GMG (Ash is a great guy):

Or a long one on BoW with the Chris from Mödipius:

Let’s Play: Fallout Wasteland Warfare – Into The Sewer

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ash comes acros as a really nice bloke and has been kind enough to plug my AT-43 stuff in the past. I wish he’d slow down a little though, I can’t keep track of what he’s saying half the time, and that and the constantly moving single viewpoint of his camera makes it difficult for me to enjoy his battle reports. I’d personally like to see more player interaction too, it sometimes feels as if Ash is playing solo and the other guy is just there somewhere in the background!

I’d love to enjoy his videos more but I often find I can’t sit through them for these reasons. Which I find a shame as he’s obviously a great bloke and he covers lots of interesting games, and old ones too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.