Home Forums The Gaming Room What games to get next?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Han Han 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

For my next game order in the next month or so, I was thinking about doing something different and consciously avoiding any dungeoncrawl/skirmish-type games, as I seem to have been overdosing on games with miniatures lately. So, any suggestions? What games do you think are a good fit for the Esoteric Order and yet are a bit different (and don’t have minis that need painting)? This may be a good time to suggest those games you really like that don’t have an EOG summary yet …

card and pixel
    Participant

We just finally found a copy of Belfort which I’ve wanted for a long while. It really hasn’t disappointed despite the wait. Tense almost medium weight euro resource management/worker placement/area control game, but wrapped up in such utterly charming and quirky artwork that it doesn’t feel dry at all. V good.

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

I’ll just have to go ahead and recommend this:

Terra Mystica because i got this myself recently and we all loved it. Also it’s something completely different than miniature dungeon crawling. Euro-resource management yes, worker placement no. Still looks and feels great, all that artwork and wood, and offers player interaction in the sense of contest about area control and racing up in element cults and those things. There is no direct interaction like trading resources or anything like that though. But you have to keep an eye on what the others are doing to adjust your strategy.

I would also recommend The Agents (2-5player) and Draco Magi (2player). Both tactical card games, one with dragons and the other with secret agents (and spectacular plastic cards I’ve not seen before). But both are kickstarter games and i don’t know if you can even get them elsewhere yet. The Agents has a really interesting game mechanic for a card game and is already in its overworked, polished “mark II” version. It’s creator is an honest, fantastic guy and has all my faith in upcoming projects. So if you’re interested you should quickly check that out and even contact him (i could imagine he would send a copy of the game to anyone interested even though fully into the production of his next game King Down).

While I’m at it I’ll just throw in another game we still enjoy here atm: Mage Wars. I guess i already talked a bit about that one in the forum so I’ll just leave it at a quick summary for everyone else. 2-4 player arena game; As a mage you summon creatures and cast all kinds of spells to fight the opponent. Every mechanic feels just as it should be and thus is really intuitive (once you read that rulebook of course). Best wizard-feeling a game can offer.

TheDeadlyCake
    TheDeadlyCake
    Participant

“Best wizard-feeling a game can offer.”

One of my new years resolutions this year is to feel more wizardly so I might have to check this one out!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

card and pixel I looked at Belfort and immediately saw those cards with ‘collect 4 wood from the supply’ and ‘trade x for y’ and my brain froze up. The artwork looks nice, but it may be straying too far on the Euro side of the divide for me. 🙂

MarcellusWallace Another Euro-style recommendation! Shame there’s no direct interaction, as there often isn’t with Euros, but I’ll give it a closer look. I just can’t seem to get excited about pushing wooden bits around though. 🙂 The Agents and Draco Magi both look good, maybe I’ll see if I can snare copies. Mage Wars I was looking at again yesterday, but I don’t think I can face all that fiddliness and rules complexity at the moment; I just don’t have the time that I think needs to be devoted to it.

Thanks guys, keep ’em coming!

MarcellusWallace
    MarcellusWallace
    Participant

Well if you haven’t already and are thinking about Terra Mystica why not watch this review by the guys from Shut Up & Sit Down? http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-terra-mystica/ At around minute 15 there is a very important point for you i guess, if you’re short on time.
    If you like them or not, in this case they are right. 😀

Universal Head
    Keymaster

SU&SD are brilliant, I’m a big fan. And they certainly make it seem attractive… I can feel the tendrils of interest starting to creep into my brain despite the wooden bits and resource management …

But for now, I must return to work. Damn work always getting in the way of gaming! 🙁

nyys
    nyys
    Participant

I’m going to completely contradict your request at what you really don’t want right now, only because I would love to the Super Dungeon Explore get the EOG treatment. 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I hate to disappoint, but those cartoony characters do absolutely nothing for me … sorry …

Han
    Han
    Participant

There are games without minis and painting?? Blasphemer!

I don’t usually ‘diversify’! But I have recently bought a card game (feel my shame), Warfighter. It called to me somehow, and turned out to be a great game solo or multi-player, albeit a little let down by some poor production values here and there (The EoG graphics dept could work wonders!) but its very excellent to play none the less.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.