Home Forums The Gaming Room What have you been playing lately?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 109 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Universal Head
    Keymaster

Played Lifeform last night and really enjoyed it. It’s a full-on Alien movie experience. Particularly enjoyed playing on the mousemat version of the board, which is a lovely surface to game on.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’ve got my next three days cut out for me.

Today: Star Wars Rebellion
    Tomorrow: Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game
    Saturday: Twilight Imperium 3

I’m a happy camper. πŸ˜€

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Thanks the stars there are EOG summaries for all three! πŸ™‚

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Middle-earth SBG (the GW miniatures game) and TI3? I can’t find those. The Rebellion one is printed in the box of course. πŸ˜€

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Oh bugger, I thought you meant Middle-Earth Quest, and yes, I haven’t done TI3. Doh. It’s been a long day!

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Just watched your unboxing of “Lifeform” – Alien-themed boardgames seem to be the thing currently – Nemesis, Alone, and now Lifeform. πŸ™‚ I’ve read some very mixed reviews of “Gloom of Kilforth” from the same company, great to hear “Lifeform” seems to be good.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

My copy of Court of the Dead: Mourner’s Call came in a few weeks ago, and the components are great, and I can’t wait to play it next week. I have been playing some solo runs of Mythic Battles: Pantheon to get the rules down and I have a feeling I will really enjoy this game. I love original spins on dice combat(Forbidden Stars is my favorite board game largely due to it’s combat) and the dice combat system is really cool in MB:P. I played a game of Arcane Academy with my 7 year old son, and it is a very well made engine builder that is easy to teach and grasp. I still need to assemble my models for Puppet Wars Unstitched and Aetherium, and I am looking forward to giving those a try as well. Lately I have been buying, sleeving, and printing out summaries for way more games than I have gotten to play, unfortunately.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Lifeform was great fun. The mechanics are totally theme driven, which is something I enjoy. I can see the designer sat down to make a game of Alien. But it’s so thematic I didn’t quite realise until the end that there are some clever gameplay elements too. For example, there are power outage tokens the Lifeform player can place, that stop crew members running into those chambers. Using things like those you can funnel the crew into places where there options to escape are drastically reduced. Very thematic, but tactical at the same time. Because there are ‘sensor ghosts’ of the alien (ie 2 or 3 on board and the crew don’t know which is the right one), it’s like a hidden movement game without being totally hidden. πŸ™‚

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I still have so much to paint for MB I haven’t even opening the box for a while! Puppet Wars is fun, I painted it all a long time ago. I’ve redesigned the cards too if you want them.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

Yep, you are the guy that brought Puppet Wars to my attention. A battle report of that would be sweet. I really like the card system used in the game. If I enjoy the game a lot, I may be interested in checking out Malifaux, the miniatures game system it is based on. I have already bought vintage spools to use as terrain(I wonder where I saw that, hmmmmm) and I plan on using jumbo buttons for work benches, and small buttons for activation tokens. And yes, I had your summary and cards downloaded before my copy even came in, lol.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

We keep meaning to do a batrep of that one, but unfortunately with limited time and resources I have to concentrate on more popular games that will get more views … sad but true!

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

Oh yes, I understand. No complaints here, I watch every batrep you guys put up.

Viewing 12 posts - 109 through 120 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.