Home Forums The Gaming Room What have you been playing lately?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Universal Head 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

First game down. Once more the Galaxy has been made safe from the forces of chaos. A terrorist base on Hoth was destroyed by valiant Imperial forces. Minor damage to the planetary system could not be avoided and is a small price to pay for law and order in the Empire. A special award goes to Imperial Counter Intelligence under Colonel Yularen who thwarted plot after sinister plot of the so-called Rebel Alliance. Long live the Emperor!

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Rebel scum!

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

All warm-ups for next week Essen? πŸ™‚

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’ll probably not get much gaming in during Essen, but at least it sets the mood. πŸ˜€
    Death Star under construction

For the Middle-earth SBG we played the “Bucklybury Ferry” scenario on my friend’s gorgeous custom-built board. Pippin was the hero of the day, slaying a Nazgul single-handedly. One Nazgul managed to reach and wound Frodo just as the hobbit reached the ferry, but then the ringwraith ran out of Willpower to melt into the shadows. Fun game!
    What a gorgeus board to play on

Twilight Imperium 3 on Saturday was as epic as it was supposed to be. A 7 hours game, where my Yssaril Tribes raced ahead in victory points, only be torn down by the combined effort by the others, just before they reached 10VP to claim the throne. As the others were still very far away (the next player had only 3VP!), we called it a draw at that point.
    Mecatol Rex under siege

Bonus game on Sunday: Detective – a modern crime boardgame. We “solved” case 1 by about 50%.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

OK, wehn are you going to paint that Rebellion set! πŸ™‚

7 hours … that’s why I’ve never bought Twilight Imperium …

Lovely board.that’s a lot of work for one scenario!

I recently made an impulse purchase of 16 foot-square MDF tiles … wondering what kind of custom board I’m going to build. At the moment I’m tempted to make a modular snow planet board so I can play the AT-43 Operation Frostbite scenarios.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

OK, wehn are you going to paint that Rebellion set!

No, no, just no! πŸ˜‰

TI is a very long game and I was really exhausted at the end. Still it was amazing fun! But it certainly isn’t for everyone.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

My group always wonders how TI4 games last as long as they do when other groups are playing, lol. As a group we have played TI4 about 5 times, and the games have never lasted over 4 hours.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

How many players? This was TI3 too, with the Age of Empires variant which I think takes a bit longer than TI4.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

It was great to meet Karsten (Soulsorcerer) in Essen this year, we had a lovely chat about games over a coffee.

I got to test a few games:

1. Conquest – Last Argument of Kings by Parabellum
    Great-looking miniatures game in the style of old Warhammer Fantasy Battle – actually a bit too much in that old style. Not excited by the game system, but the minis are obviously gorgeous (and huge, almost 40mm scale).

2. The Elder Scrolls – Call to Arms
    I’m no fanboy of the Elder Scrolls games, but I enjoyed this quick Skirmisher very much. Streamlined rules, but nice special abilities made for a fun demo game. I believe it’s based on a similar system to the Fallout miniatures game (also by Modiphius).

3. Hellboy
    I know Peter likes it a lot, so I wanted to give it a try, but I must admit I found the demo VERY light. Not much in choices. Also for me the abstracted comic graphics (which match the comics very well), don’t work so good for me for a boardgame. I definitely would have to try a little more in-depth scenario for a final verdict.

I’ve also got a couple more detailed rules explanations…

4. Aeolis is a Greek game and a current Kickstarter. It’s a cooperative city building where you have to defend the settlement from outside threats like raiders, plagues and other catastrophes. Looked quite interesting, but not enough to pull me into the KS.

5. Pirates! drew my eyes through the beautiful map and the theme, but it turns out to be a racing game, with some piratey elements thrown in. Doesn’t look bad, but simply does not seem to be my type of game.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

It was really great to meet up at Essen Ralf! We have to do that again…with a bit more time!

To be honest…9 houres games fair is getting a bit much when you get old. πŸ™‚

Still, lotΒ΄s of fun to talk to so many different people in this industry and to get to see so many great stuff up close.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

πŸ˜€ I was in bed VERY early on Saturday night, after two days walking around the show.

Here are some pictures by the way:
    Spiel entrance

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Many thanks for those posts! Interested to discover that Last Conquest: Argument of Kings (such a bad name, it amazes me that these companies can’t come up with catchier names!) is by Alessio Cavatore of Riverhorse, who did the pretty light and crappy Labyrinth and Dark Crystal games. He used to work for Games Workshop and also wrote Kings of War I think – ie, haven’t really seen anything impressive from him. I’m definitely not keen to support Modiphius every again as I am STILL waiting for Siege of the Citadel, now years overdue.

Must have been a bad demo choice – Hellboy is great! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.