Home Forums The Gaming Room What have you been playing lately?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 3 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Are these the complete campaigns though? You mean the “Return to…” things right*? I thought they were just additions – so you need the original sets as well.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I thought they were the entire campaigns released in one box with some changes. So far they’ve done it for the campaign in the core set, and the Return to Dunwich campaign.

Kvamzi
    Kvamzi
    Participant

The “Return to …” are not the entire campaign. They just modifies the campaign and adds more options to the scenarios to enhance replay value. And a nice storage box, for those who have not made their own.

Return to Dunwich is not released yet.

It’s a great game, have only played through the core campaign once. I also have the whole Dunwich cycle, but I want to try the core campaign some more, to try to get an different outcome. Because the first play through was horrid 🙂

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Oh, I see. I just went to the site and read it properly. Oh well, that’s good, though I still feel I have to wait for the upgrade box before playing the campaign …

How things have changed at Fantasy Flight. I used to buy almost everything they released; now there’s just pages of news about games (actually, mostly about expansions for games) that I’m not interested in. I’m sure they’re probably making more money than ever of course, but to me it’s all expansion madness.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

I have been away for work the last three weeks (I work away from home on a schedule) but I just got in two new games at home I will be playing. I got Western Legends, a Kickstarter sandbox game set in the American old west. Looks cool and can’t wait to try it.

I got Starship Samurai from Plaid Hat games in as well. It is an area control, sci fi-ish game with giant mexh samurai, which I will be playing as well.

I just confirmed a trade with a guy for Mars Attacks miniatures game from Mantic. Looks simple but fun, and I plan on playing with my daughter.

Anyway, anyone play any of these games?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Sorry Dustin, haven’t played any of them! I’m a bit fed up with Mantic though I must admit. Just got two kits from them (a dropship and a transport) and I couldn’t believe it when I opened the box and there were no instructions. When I tweeted about it they directed me to a crappy, amateurish video on their YT channel. After the debacle of trying to put together various Deadzone figure sets, this was the last straw for me. Far from being the ‘affordable alternative’ to Games Workshop, they’re just proving why GW is expensive and why it’s worth spending the extra money in comparison!

Plaid Hat Games have released a lot of misses lately, IMHO, so let us know what you think of that one.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I played another Middel-earth strategy battle game yesterday – the full complement from the new starter box in the Battle of Pelennor fields. My orcs and witch-king massacred Theoden and his Rohirrim, but in turn got overwhelmed by the Army of the Dead. Great fun.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I don’t know why, but I’ve just never been attracted to this game. I like LotR; maybe it’s the figures. Maybe it’s just the daunting prospect of all the painting!

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’ve always loved the LotR figures better than the WFB and 40K ones, because they are less flamboyant and more realistic, but that’s just personal taste of course. In most cases they also managed to capture the actors and creatures from the movies extremely well.

Dustin
    Dustin
    Participant

I got in a game of Western Legends the other day. Great sandbox game, and very thematic. I have never played Xia, but WL is easily my favorite game of that genre that I have played. All the different paths seem like they are valid ways to win, which for a game that has so many options is pretty awesome.

I played a game of Paper Tales, which my group has been raving about, but it was just ok to me. It is basically 7 Wonders with a spacial element and less ways to win. Then again, me and my group don’t see eye to eye on a lot of games, ha. Most of them lean towards Euros, which why it can be hard to play some of dudes on a map/miniatures games sometimes.

I played a game of Mars Attacks with my daughter, as well as a game of The Walking Dead All Out War, and really liked them both. TWD is similar to Mars Attacks but a little more complicated, but not to much for a 10 year old to grasp. I know there are issues with Mantic and quality, which is unfortunate that they put out sub par stuff, but the simplicity of their games allows me to play them with my daughter.

briscoe999
    Participant

I am continuing on playing Memoir 44 after work on an average of once per week. I am really enjoying the M’44 campaigns the way all the scenarios are linked together. We started with the Audie Murphy Campaign, then went on the the Battles of Khakhin Gol (of which i have only one more scenario to play); and after that we are going to start on the Vercors Campaign. I have upgraded my M’44 stuff by replacing the artillery and tanks with Axis and Allies Miniatures – so the game looks really great when set up!!

Kvamzi
    Kvamzi
    Participant

Ah, Memoir ’44 one of my favorite games. I play M44 Online quite frequently.

I finished all of those campaigns, and just recently The Battles of Khalkhin-Gol, which was excellent. It was fun to play the Japanese army vs the Soviets. In our play-through the Axis got a little more VP towards the finale, but then the Allies came back and won the campaign on the overlord scenario. So I think overall it’s a well balanced campaign. Next campaign I’m going to play is Through Jungle and Desert.

I’ve been playing another head to head game a lot lately, and that’s Dreamblade. I have expanded my collection a bit, so I had to try out some of the new minis. I just love the bizarre figures and the deep strategy involved in that game, MtG meets Chess in a nightmareish plane 🙂

And since MonPoc is releasing v2 these days, I’m going to play v1 tomorrow. I have read the new rulebook and the rules are mostly the same with only a few tweaks and I’m going to incorporate some of them.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.