Home Forums The Gaming Room What's your favourite Star Wars game?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Uthoroc Uthoroc 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MatineeIdyll129
    MatineeIdyll129
    Participant

There’s a certain wonderful film just been released that’s reignited my Star Wars fandom, after the 12 year old me was so bitterly disappointed back in 1999.

I realise I haven’t a single SW related game in my collection, and I’d like to remedy that…

In terms of aerial combat, I’m pretty heavily invested in Ares’ majestic Wings of Glory, so X-Wing is possibly out of the running… though Slave 1 and the Millenium Falcon make it so, so tempting.

Armada looks like quite a different kettle of fish, and I could probably justify the purchase, but it looks like you need to spend heckloads just to get something memorable to the table, plus, it strikes me as rather fiddly when compared to Wings of Glory’s elegant systems.

As far as I’m aware, that only really leaves Imperial Assault… I’ve never played Descent, and Mansions of Madness is the only dungeon crawl-ish game I own (did have Mice and Mystics, but I found the combat terribly repetitive and gave it away). I would so love to have a little Han and Chewbacca running around, but I’m rather confused by how Allies are integrated into the campaign.

Given my adoration for War of the Ring, should I just hang out for Star Wars: Rebellion when it lands next year? I guess there’s the LCG, but the Game of Thrones one wasn’t doing it for me.

I’d love some insight from my fellow Cultists,
    Thanks everyone.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

I’m invested in X-Wing (somehow “I own X-Wing” seems inadequate phrasing) and have skipped Armada because it just would become too expensive to do both. Played Imperial Assault a few times and it’s nice, but I’m burned out on the Overlord vs a bunch of players game type, because I always have to play the Overlord. It gets tiresome after a while, at least for me.

But I’m eagerly awaiting SW: Rebellion. As a huge WotR fan, this seems exactly like my type of game.

So I guess my recommendation would be to wait for Rebellion, especially if you have someone to play it regularly with.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Saw the film yesterday – great fun.

I have all the above games and they’re all good, but I’m not a fan of the endless expense involved and find myself getting to a certain point and then saying “I’ve got enough now” (taking into account how often they actually get to the table). Though when it comes to X-Wing and Armada, the amount of stuff you have to buy to have a god gaming experience is frustratingly expensive.

I find Imperial Assault more enjoyable than Descent actually, but I agree that the ‘one vs many’ nature of it can wear out its welcome (I always end up being Overlord too). I really dislike the system of buying the core game or an expansion and then having to buy the extra figures separately. That’s fine if you can drop into your local FLGS in the US and get them cheaply, but with shipping and markup, it gets ridiculous for those of us on the other side of the world.

Overall, they’re all good games, but they can easily eat up quite a lot of your gaming budget.

MatineeIdyll129
    MatineeIdyll129
    Participant

Aye, buying the seperate figures for Imperial Assault is a bit crushing for us Southern Hemisphere folks… Mansions of Madness and Fury of Dracula also fulfil my ‘One Against Many’ needs for the time being, and the idea of IA being a campaign you need a consistent bunch to play with kinda kills it off.

Wait for Rebellion I shall.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

The separate figure marketing ploy annoys the hell out of me, to be frank. If I was in the States and could wander into my local game store now and again and pick one of the figure expansions up for a reasonable price I wouldn’t mind so much, but as you say it gets very pricy for us. And I don’t like being drip-fed a full game piece by piece at a premium price; not to mention the unnecessary waste of resources (packaging etc).

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Whoops, just read what I’d previously said and realised I was essentially repeating myself. Sorry about that.

8th
    Participant

Memory loss… happens to all us old folks.

Presumably you don’t have many gaming stores down there and by the sound of it, few online stores that ship locally.

Maybe Esoteric Order should open a gaming store.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Ways to Not Make Money In New Zealand #58,252: open a gaming store. 🙂

8th
    Participant

I never said you would make money. Think of it as community service.

Maybe with a gimmick… Strip joint/gaming shop 🙂

MatineeIdyll129
    MatineeIdyll129
    Participant

It’s Rebellion Week over on the FFG News site… Game looks flippin’ amazing. TI3 meets War of the Ring.

Uthoroc
    Uthoroc
    Participant

Yeah, I’m like what I’m seeing in the previews. Except the price. 😉 Pre-order price here in Germany is more than €110. Urrgh.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.