Home Forums The Workshop White Primer or Black? What's YOUR preference, and why?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Universal Head 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Sanjay
    Participant

I use white primer, but only because I started with it, and never tried black. I started using white because I’d heard it enhances the details to make it easier to see where to paint and that it makes colors brighter. Since I don’t have any experience with black, I wanted to see if anyone had a preference for black, and why.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I started with white back in the 80s when I started painting, and everyone used white. Sometime in the 90s Games Workshop seemed to lead a change to black, and I’ve never undertood why. I tried it once or twice and found it incredibly difficult and a waste of time – I couldn’t see the detail, I couldn’t wash areas with colour, some colours were very difficult to paint over black (eg yellow), and frankly I never saw the advantage of painting that way (except maybe if the entire figure was clad in plate mail and I was drybrushing it with a metal colour).

Some say it is more forgiving for beginning painters, and perhaps that’s why GW championed it. But once washes were developed that sat in the creases (eg the wonderful Devlan Mud), the last reason for using black as an undercoat – that it automatically ‘outlined’ areas – surely disappeared. I just don’t understand any reason for using black as an undercoat, frankly.

Give me white every time. 🙂

Bremic
    Bremic
    Participant

I have been using black due to the recommendation of “the guy in the store” and have found it great for the fantasy miniatures; however I am looking at using white for my next batch of Cosmic Encounter ships. Partly because the stuff I have seen gives it a slightly “newish” look, and also because I want the crevices to be the brighter part, and that leads me to using the lighter paints and then adding darker rather than the other way around that I have been using on Descent minis.

roy batty
    roy batty
    Participant

Used white from the start of my painting life (20+ years). Like UH, I have dabbled with black, but only for specific projects or when I want a certain finish.

I find it much easier to paint, blend and wash over white, and final colours are much more what I intended. With black, I found that it was much harder to achieve the finish I was going for.

So, white for me!

D

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I think it’s time to bring white primer back to the masses! 🙂

roy batty
    roy batty
    Participant

Lets start one of those new fangled “hash tag” do-whats.

#whiteprimerforthewin

Is that it?

Am I twittering?

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Be careful, it may be misconstrued as being the hashtag for some horrific white supremacist group!

Old Dwarf
    Old Dwarf
    Participant

I also started back in the 80’s with white but started with black
    when the LoTR skirmish game came out & GW indicated that black
    was better suited to the line( This was still when the Evil Empire
    was in it’s late Republic stage) .

I do find that a black undercoat does give miniatures a gritty appearance
    which, unless I doing High Fantasy figs ,I like better.

Black does ,to my ageing eyes at least, make detail hard to see so on
    anything less than 25mm I use grey.

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I couldn’t see any detail at all the time I tried black … in fact I often discover a whole lot of mould lines after I’ve undercoated in white that I have to go back and remove. I highly recommend getting a head loupe; it’s made painting so much easier for me now that my close vision has gone to hell.

You wouldn’t happen to be the same Old Dwarf from the BattleLoreMaster.com days would you?

Old Dwarf
    Old Dwarf
    Participant

UH, yes I’m the same Old Dwarf from the old BL Forum.
    I do have a head loupe & use it when I paint especially
    the 10mm-6mm figures.

OD

Universal Head
    Keymaster

Welcome back mate! This site is a little less specific. 😉

Yep, changed my life the old head loupe. Otherwise I could see myself condemned to a life of slowly-worsening paint jobs (whose slowly-worsening quality I wasn’t aware of)…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.