Home Forums The Gaming Room Wolsung Steampunk Skirmish Game

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  The8thPagan 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

The8thPagan
    Participant

Got my first game of Wolsung in a few hours. Lots of ruined building to make the landscape interesting. Sadly I don’t have a lot of intact buildings, but I do have a clip together set to make a couple.

Converted some RPG characters with Wolsung online card creator. Works OK, but print very small and hard to read.

Looks like I’ll be making some of my own cards anyway. I’m not the arty sort, so it will be simplistic design, but readable.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

How was it going?

The8thPagan
    Participant

I followed the high EOG standard regarding the rules… made a couple of mistakes. Watched Beasts of War demo since and that confirmed we were close to getting it right.

First game slow as we were learning rules and a bit one sided… Ash&Oak deployed on a rooftop. Terrain layout (my fault) made it hard to get close.

I was running Inventors and had my usual bad dice luck.

Player running zombies was hampered by deploying Pneuma Booths too cloose to edge of battlefield and with one action took too long to reach melee.

I don’t have many buildings as my scenery bought for Frostgrave and I feel that’s a limiting factor.

We all learned something I think.

Playing again this weekend with three heroes instead of two and I’ll set up battlefield differently.

Looking forwards to rematch.

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

Sounds good. Terrain is importent…if you do not have that much…try reduceing the play area…should work reasonably well.
    Van Rier is not easy to Play as a beginner…lots of synergies to be aware of…but lots of nasty stuff they can do if in sync.
    Have fun!

The8thPagan
    Participant

He’s thinking of adding Wormwood and Ursula. Eisfield is nasty, especially as Wormwood can move them around and his Icy Hand spell can create more.

Bit frustrated with the scenarios. Not much plot to the ones in rulebooks and the ‘advanced’ seem tricky with three players. Controlling three stacks out of four when three players on board seems hard work.

Not sure whether to increase number of stacks to six and control three or keep four and control twof.

Any advice? Any more interesting scenarios you can point me towards?

Soulsorcerer
    Soulsorcerer
    Participant

3 Players is a bit tricky. Terrain becomes even more importent because most times 1 will be cought between the other 2.
    My Group is still trying to figure out more Scenarios with equal win conditions for 3 or 5 players.

With the controlling the stacks try the following: Devide the board into 3 equal areas…each club starts in one and has to controle the stack in the next area clockwise. The fourth is in the middle. At the end of turn each club scores points for having control of the stack in the clockwise area for 1…controling the middle one (most points in base to base for ties for example) for 2…and if you have a bigger game with more points you could give points to the club whose own stack is not under the opponents controle for 1. After a set amount of turns the one with the most points wins. Tends to avoid the 2vs1 game most 3 Player games evolve to.

Let me know what you think of it.

The8thPagan
    Participant

Tried a homebrew scenario. Essentially capture spy belonging to a faction other than the three of us. Worked ok, but still taking a long time to play out a turn, two turns in two hours (our entire gaming slot).

Partly due to it being our second game and still learning rules, but three heroes each does extend a turn. Unfamiliarity with our ‘club’ heroes and their abilities didn’t help.

May go back to two heroes next week.

CK Lai
    Participant

Beasts of War has a new gameplay video out for Wolsung.

The8thPagan
    Participant

The player running Ven Rier switching to Scylla, so the play through useful. Glad I only proxied Ven Rier with zombicide figures.

Ordered Scylla starter plus Cal and Aponne. That figure just so cool. Ogre with a halfling in a backpack with a tommy gun 🙂

The8thPagan
    Participant

Having spent many frustrating hours over the last couple of years assembling Warmachine and Hordes miniatures, I have to say that Wolsung is a positive pleasure by comparison.

The attaching of limbs is so easy and requires less pinning (if any) due to the moulding.

And I do like the characters. Top hats on the gentleman, umbrellas, halflings with tommyguns… it’s just a fun game!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.